You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-28 19:45:25

BentB
Website

AX.25 and the Archlinux kernel [Solved]

I'm a ham radio operator (too) so naturally I would like to be able to use the AX.25 protocol stack in the kernel. To my great surprise I have discovered that the standard Archlinux kernel does not have the AX.25 modules enabled. Moreover it is not even possible to enable them.

There must be a reason for this, so what is the story?

Best regards

Bent
(aka OZ6BL)

Last edited by BentB (2007-01-31 05:20:43)

#2 2007-01-28 21:28:50

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: AX.25 and the Archlinux kernel [Solved]

The most likely reason is that you're the first person to ask about them. Submit a feature request and we'll see about turning them on in a future release.

If you're in a hurry, you can rebuild the kernel with the required modules enabled.

#3 2007-01-29 12:24:43

BentB
Website

tomk wrote:

The most likely reason is that you're the first person to ask about them.

I know that hams are an endangered species, but I didn't realise that we are that rare

Submit a feature request and we'll see about turning them on in a future release.

OK. I'm a little surprised, however, since the AX.25 stuff is present in the vanilla kernel from kernel.org, so somebody must make an effort to take them out when the ArchLinux kernel is packaged...

If you're in a hurry, you can rebuild the kernel with the required modules enabled.

I have tried to do that, but where is the source? The kernel26 package 'only' contains the header files and the modules - plus of course the kernel itself. I can't find any packeage called 'kernel-source' or something to this extent. Please advise.

Best regards,

Bent

Last edited by BentB (2007-01-29 12:25:57)

#4 2007-01-29 12:41:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

There is no effort involved in not enabling a kernel feature - the required code is indeed in the vanilla tarball, but it is disabled by default.

To build your own kernel, get the source from kernel.org - Arch does not provide a source package.

And IMO it's entirely possible that you're the first ham operator to use Arch - ham radio is not the most popular use for a computer, and Arch is not the most popular linux distro. smile

#5 2007-01-31 05:19:46

BentB
Website

tomk wrote:

...To build your own kernel, get the source from kernel.org - Arch does not provide a source package.

It was a pleasant surprise to learn that Arch uses the vanilla kernel 'as is' - most other distros throw in a bunch of  patches of their own . That is why I asked for a 'kernel source' package.

I built my own kernel and after the usual hazzle with the nvidia kernel module I am now in business as a ham.

Thanks for the help.

Bent

Board footer