You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-02 02:22:03

tronica

X won't start

I had to do a reinstall, and all went well, installed xorg, gnome, then nvidia driver. Thats fine. I then edited /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, and added exec gnome-session. Then when i type startx i get the nvidia logo breifly then drops back the cmd line, heres what it says:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'font'

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections giving up.
xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.

any help would be great

Last edited by tronica (2007-02-02 02:22:22)

#2 2007-02-02 05:25:45

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: X won't start

I don't know if it's causing the error, but you shouldn't modify /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Intead, create a .xinitrc in your home directory.

#3 2007-02-02 07:52:47

JGC
Developer

Hmm, is this xorg-server from current or from testing? If it's testing, you should either remove the fontpath from your configuration or install the xorg-fonts-misc package.

#4 2007-02-02 14:01:10

tronica

Thanks JGC, thats what did the trick.

#5 2007-02-04 01:02:54

thegeekster

Just today, I had a slightly different error:

Fatal server error:
Cannot move old log file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

This is what happened when trying to 'startx' as a normal user............However, I was able to start a session successfully as the root user......So after a bit of searching on the web, I came across this blog, which was the exact problem I had and with a solution that did the trick..........Basically it says to make sure the 'Xorg' binary (/usr/bin/Xorg) is setuid and making sure it's owned by root.......

This happened within the last day, after upgrading the system with 'pacman -Suy'........ :-(

I thought I'd share with others, in case they run across the same problem........ :-)

---thegeekster

Open Source, it's about freedom of choice.......
---/me

A computer will do what you tell it to, but that may be much different from what you had in mind.
---Joseph Weizenbaum

#6 2007-08-26 01:00:43

azerty
Website

thegeekster wrote:

Just today, I had a slightly different error:

Fatal server error:
Cannot move old log file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

This is what happened when trying to 'startx' as a normal user............However, I was able to start a session successfully as the root user......So after a bit of searching on the web, I came across this blog, which was the exact problem I had and with a solution that did the trick..........Basically it says to make sure the 'Xorg' binary (/usr/bin/Xorg) is setuid and making sure it's owned by root.......

This happened within the last day, after upgrading the system with 'pacman -Suy'........ :-(

I thought I'd share with others, in case they run across the same problem........ :-)

---thegeekster

I got exactly the same problem like you.
And exactly the same solution did solve the problem, BUT why did I get this problem? Cause, I didn't modify anything on the Xorg binary..

The last thing I made before that error occurred was compiling dwm..

Why are we here? What is the sense of life?
INVITATION TO THE TRUTH

Board footer