You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-06 22:45:34

Anonymous1c4

Making chmod and chown permanent

I feel like I'm doing something really stupid here, but I thought that when you chmod or chown something, it's supposed to be permanent, but it doesn't, at least, not for me. Everytime I restart the computer, I have to chmod /dev/dsp, /dev/adsp, etc in order to get full functionality out of sound. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I tried finding out through google and the arch wiki, but I couldn't find anything on it.

#2 2007-02-06 23:02:37

mutlu_inek

Re: Making chmod and chown permanent

The devices are generated dynamically (e.g. during boot). The files you are chmodding are not actually the same, only their names are.

Add the user that should use sound to the audio group:

sudo usermod -a -G audio USERNAME

There are many other groups you may want to be member of: network, video, floppy, storage, slocate, dbus, camera, scanner, ... Read /etc/group for existing groups.

#3 2007-02-06 23:51:12

Anonymous1c4

Re: Making chmod and chown permanent

mutlu_inek wrote:

The devices are generated dynamically (e.g. during boot). The files you are chmodding are not actually the same, only their names are.

Add the user that should use sound to the audio group:

sudo usermod -a -G audio USERNAME

There are many other groups you may want to be member of: network, video, floppy, storage, slocate, dbus, camera, scanner, ... Read /etc/group for existing groups.

Ah, that explains a lot. I knew I was doing something stupid. Whatever, it's working now, thanks big_smile

Board footer