You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-07 17:50:51

WMSheep

Planning an install for the weekend...

Hi All

Right then, I`ve decided I`m going for it and will, after much piddling about, be installing Arch sometime over the weekend.

So, I have a couple of questions to ask before I start the operation -

1) Would I be correct in assuming that the best version to install is the 0.7.2 base version, then obtain everything else through Pacman?

2) Will the documentation at http://www.archlinux.org/static/docs/ar … guide.html be enough to get a relative newbie (been trying out Mandriva 2006 at home - it`s nice, but not that nice) through the install (read through it last night and it SEEMS fairly straightforward), or is there something more comprehensive/up to date?

3) I`m building a dual boot system with XP, so if I was to have to stop the installation at any point during the install (say to look for some info on the interweb) will I be able to resume the installation from where I left it or would I have to restart from the beginning?

4) Is there anything else I should know.

Basically what I`m after building is a fast PC that I can use for

i) My College Work
ii) My photography
iii) My music collection
iv) Everything else (apart from gaming)

If it doesnt work out I PROMISE not to slag Arch/Linux off.

Ta

WMS

Smoke me a Kipper; I`ll be back for Breakfast!

#2 2007-02-07 18:11:46

lucke

Re: Planning an install for the weekend...

It'd be a better idea to install off 0.8 install disc (it's beta, but should work nonetheless) - there have been some major changes since 7.2, like introduction of mkinictpio.

Install guide (it's for 0.7.2, but there shouldn't be many differences) should be utterly sufficient for installing the system and doing a basic set up. More advanced post-install topics are covered in wiki.

Installation itself is very straightforward - partitioning, copying packages, setting bootloader and setting up some basic configuration files. You shouldn't be forced to access the tubes (I recommend printing the Install Guide, just to be sure; additionally, there should be a text webbrowser on install cd) - should you, you can always start over.

#3 2007-02-07 18:19:14

tom5760
Website

Welcome WMSheep!  To answer your questions:

EDIT: Ahh lucke beat me... big_smile
1.) It would probably be easiest to install from the 0.8 beta CD.  I believe that a lot has changed since the 0.7.2 cd (mkinitcpio, pata module, and some other stuff).  0.8 takes care of that.  You can find it here -> ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/0.8/i686

2.) You can pretty much just run through the installer step-by-step.  Most of the options are pretty self explanatory.  But I believe that doc is currently the most up to date, but some things may be different on the 0.8 cd.

3.) If you just do a base install, it will probably be done in a short amount of time.  The last step is installing a bootloader.  To access your Windows partition, add something like this to the GRUB configuration file:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0) #If Windows is not on the first partition, then change this accordingly
makeactive
chainloader+1

After you install GRUB, and reboot, you will be able to select Windows from a menu when your computer starts.
The installation is pretty short, so you shouldn't need to hop out of it.  But I don't think you can resume a partial installation.\

4.) I like to use the FTP install CD and just install everything in the "base" category first.  Then once installed, reboot and install everything else (xorg, gnome/kde/whatever)

Good luck!

Last edited by tom5760 (2007-02-07 18:20:00)

#4 2007-02-07 18:24:40

lucke

tom5760 wrote:

EDIT: Ahh lucke beat me... big_smile

But not with a pointed stick, mind you ;-)

#5 2007-02-07 19:05:31

WMSheep

Ta for all the info folks - am d/ling Arch 0.8.0 as I type.

have printed the install guide as a matter of course (it`s hard to read a 19" widescreen monitor in bed!!)

WMS

#6 2007-02-07 19:06:45

Mikko777

There's also this "overview" of a full/ complete linux installation:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

The Base install is simple for a moderate newbie and as stated above doesn't take very long. (0-2 hours)

The tweaking and problems comes after the base install smile (install lynx/ links/ elinks to view webpages from commandline first).

Last edited by Mikko777 (2007-02-07 19:07:42)

#7 2007-02-07 20:00:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Welcome aboard!

It looks like everyone else answered your questions already, but I just want to say one quick thing:

WMSheep wrote:

...snip... be enough to get a relative newbie
...snip...
If it doesnt work out I PROMISE not to slag Arch/Linux off.

I think it's important to note that Arch does, generally, require effort.  For most it tends to be a one-time effort - that is, learning your system and more of the "nitty-gritty" than a typical user-friendly distro.  The end result is a machine that YOU tailored (not some guy and Mandriva who tailored it for you) and a machine that YOU know.  It's my opinion that Arch is more about giving you control that most other distros on the block.  So, if you're willing to do a little bit of leg work, Arch should be fun. 8)

#8 2007-02-07 20:08:01

WMSheep

That`s the whole reason I`ve gone for Arch - I WANT to learn, and I`m going to learn!!

#9 2007-02-07 20:42:43

pelle.k

You're bound to hit a rookie mistake one way or the other, so i'll just fill you in on some common mistakes;
1; be a member of storage, optical and audio group, so you can browse you devices, and have sound working.
2; run hal and dbus (and is the correct order) and you will have a pleasant "removeable device" experience.
3; Learn pacman's command switches

You will find makepkg and the AUR a very nice resource once you'll comfortable with it. Compiling stuff not in the repos is a breeze.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#10 2007-02-07 20:47:18

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

WMSheep wrote:

That`s the whole reason I`ve gone for Arch - I WANT to learn, and I`m going to learn!!

Great!  The forums here are a great place for any questions you have.  IRC is also good for quick help (#archlinux on freenode.net), if you need it.

#11 2007-02-08 11:23:48

clarence

remember to precede new installs with a backup. you'll only miss your data when it's gone (good title for a country and western song there)

fck art, lets dance.

#12 2007-02-08 22:16:12

WMSheep

That WOULD normally be the case; but this is an install on a new home built machine so there`s nothing to go amiss (am typing this via my wife`s pc btw).

Thanks for all the tips/hints/help everyone.

WMS

Board footer