You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-08 19:56:48

Lugz

OpenBox Anyone?

Anyone use openbox? If so, i need help with using it and not using a login manager. Also,  is there a desktop icon plugin or something so i can have a desktop with openbox? Similar to fbdesk.

#2 2007-02-08 20:55:02

hugin

Re: OpenBox Anyone?

re: the desktop icons, i believe it's called idesk, or you could use ROX to do it. 

And it would be helpful if you actually told us what was giving you problems.  So what are you problems using it without a login manager?  are you trying to run it from a 'startx'? 

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

#3 2007-02-08 21:10:35

magnum_opus

if no login manager-
open .xinitrc with a text editor
add "exec openbox" (and delete or comment out any exec ____ that was there)
from the console (not a *term but the actual X-less console) type
"startx"

OR

from the console type "xinit /usr/bin/openbox"

#4 2007-02-09 00:27:45

upsidaisium
Website

i'm running openbox, with slim as my login manager.  it's very easy to setup:
- pacman --sync slim
- configure by editing /etc/slim.conf
- add slim to the list of daemons in /etc/rc.conf

i haven't tinkered with slim too much, but i like it so far (i've been using it for ~1 week).

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#5 2007-02-09 01:42:29

picpak

The problem with slim is that it builds HUGE log files.

I use a combination of autologging in with mingetty and putting startx in my .bash_profile. There's a guide at the wiki.

Regards,
Picpak

#6 2007-02-09 02:49:23

Lugz

Okay, so i played around with openbox for some time and i managed to get what looks like a generated menu. There is no panel which i want, something similar to flux, and I would also like something for my desktop with icons. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like now. ( how would i get a panel to auto start with openbox along with something that displays desktop/icons)

#7 2007-02-09 05:40:06

bones
Website

Lugz wrote:

Okay, so i played around with openbox for some time and i managed to get what looks like a generated menu. There is no panel which i want, something similar to flux, and I would also like something for my desktop with icons. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like now. ( how would i get a panel to auto start with openbox along with something that displays desktop/icons)

Pypanel works well for me plus idesk, I've just add those to my .xinitrc file so they start up with openbox, Have a read of the wiki, it's all in there and very easy to follow.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#8 2007-02-09 06:24:57

arox1

PCmanFM can display icons on desktop

Board footer