You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-09 10:18:31

mildred
Website

KDe applications (kwrite) under GNOME: strange behaviour

Hi,

I'm using GNOME because it is simple and it just works. But sometimes I need some KDe apps because GNOME apps are somehow limited. For example I use the Kwrite text editor (because I can customize the syntax highlighting and it fully supports unicode).

But each time I start kwrite, I have problems with the GNOME taskbar. The Kwrite windows seems to tell the window manager (metacity) to highlight the window in the taskbar. So almost every kwrite window is highlighted in my taskbar and when I change the current desktop, all highlighted kwrite windows stays in the taskbar.
That is for me a string usability issue because I to switch between windows, I'm used to use the mouse wheel in the taskbar. But with those kwrite windows in the taskbar, it makes me change my current desktop, and lose some time to get me back to my desktop and click on the right window.

After examining what happens, it seems that when I move to a desktop where there is visible kwrite windows (not hidden in the taskbar), all windows gets highlighted. Also, this issue appears with others KDe applications (like kcolorchooser).

Does anyone have any ideas how I could solve this problem ?
Thanks.

Board footer