You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-09 15:41:39

Master One

SQUEEZE replaced XARCHIVER in XFCE4.4.0?

After my walk through KDEMOD, KDE and Gnome, I am about to come back to XFCE4.4.0 again smile, and doing a 'pacman -S xfce4' left me wondering about SQUEEZE, which seems to have replaced XARCHIVER.

Any comments on that?

Why would two differnt archive managers be actively developed for XFCE4?

Both are definitely XFCE4 projects, SQUEEZE is very new (just hit version v0.1.0), so how comes?

Strangely neither here in this forum, nor on the XFCE website is anything mentioned about this matter.

#2 2007-02-09 17:38:55

baze

Re: SQUEEZE replaced XARCHIVER in XFCE4.4.0?

no archive manager was released with xfce 4.4, so there is no official xfce archiver atm. they discussed this on the xfce4-dev mailing list, if you want to read the discussion.
the point was, that xarchiver was not really stable in the current version and squeeze had not even had any release at all at that point.

> Both are definitely XFCE4 projects, SQUEEZE is very new (just hit version v0.1.0), so how comes?
true, they are xfce projects, but not both are xfce apps. xarchiver is and _will_ always be a gtk only archive manager, while squeeze targets xfce integration. both applications will stay with xfce and none of them will kick the other one out, so squeeze does not replace xarchiver.
squeeze was forked from xarchiver months ago but both will stay as they target different directions.

squeeze has some nasty issues but it may turn out nicely in time. i use it and i know its flaws, but for the general use i absolutely recommend xarchiver atm. it's way more mature than squeeze.

i hope this clears things up a bit. there simply is no official xfce archive manager at this time.

#3 2007-02-09 18:16:25

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: SQUEEZE replaced XARCHIVER in XFCE4.4.0?

http://www.nabble.com/Introducing-Squee … 43009.html

I read this earlier today because i was wondering the same thing smile

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer