You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-11 17:06:28

heathen

installation help...

So, I finally got the ambition up to install the arch base iso (0.7.2) and everything went fine.  I rebooted and logged into my new system.  I then went to the wiki and followed this:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

followed it all then rebooted...  bam, kernal panic

No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernal Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

ok, so i do it all over again... same result (the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result)

Ok, so, start it over and this time reboot after each step to see where I'm screwing up.

I update pacman and everything is fine..  when I run pacman -Syu everything appears to download/install fine but this is where when I reboot it panics...

It asks me if I'd like to replace raidtools, mkinitrd, and devfsd with mdadm, mkinitcpio, and udev, which I answered yes to.   I figure whatever I'm missing is somewhere within these..

someone point me north here...

insanity happens...

#2 2007-02-11 17:55:58

tom5760
Website

Re: installation help...

There were a bunch of changes since the 0.7.2 install CD was made.  If this is a fresh install, I'd suggest downloading the 0.8 beta CD located here -> ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/0.8/i686 and install from that.  It sets up the new stuff by default (mkinicpio, pata drivers, etc, etc...)

If you really don't want to reinstall, make sure you read the Pacman messages during updating.  They should give you warnings about what needs to be changed to let your system use the new stuff.

Last edited by tom5760 (2007-02-11 17:57:00)

#3 2007-02-11 20:27:07

heathen

Re: installation help...

well, that worked...  now off to get the wireless working..

insanity happens...

Board footer