You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-17 17:25:29

Shagbag

Amarok and 2ndGen iPod Nano - configuration help, please. [RESOLVED]

I have a 4GB iPod Nano (2nd generation) and am having problems configuring to work with Amarok.  This is the first time I've ever had to do it as I've never owned an iPod before.

When I plug it in to the USB port, it's detected by KDE but not by Amarok.

If I look in the 'Devices' tab (bottom far left of the Amarok GUI) in Amarok it just gives me the text 'Media Device Browser' telling me to configure my media device and then click the connect button.

If I go to Amarok's menubar and select Settings > Configure Amarok > Media Devices it shows 'sdb2' as the Name and I've set 'Apple iPod Media Device' as the Plugin.  When I click on the hammer and spanner (configure) button (the button in between 'Apple iPod Media Device' and 'Remove'), it asks me for a 'Pre-connect command' and a 'Post-disconnect command'.  What values/commands should I specify for these as the default ones of 'mount %d' and 'eject %d' (respectively) don't work?

Here is a screenie of what I'm talking about:

screenshot9sy5.th.png

Last edited by Shagbag (2007-02-17 19:50:52)

#2 2007-02-17 18:17:00

Snarkout

Re: Amarok and 2ndGen iPod Nano - configuration help, please. [RESOLVED]

At that point all you should have to do is click on the "connect" button in amarok, assuming this is a fat32 ipod.

You probably want to setup a udev rule for your ipod, though (in /etc/udev/rules.d) - there is ample info in the wiki (I'm too lazy to search for it right now though).  Here's the rule I use:

SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", ATTRS{vendor}=="Apple", KERNEL=="sd?2", ATTRS{model}=="iPod*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="ipod", GROUP:="ipod", OPTIONS="last_rule"

You may be able to just replace scsi with usb and use it as is, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#3 2007-02-17 19:50:14

Shagbag

Re: Amarok and 2ndGen iPod Nano - configuration help, please. [RESOLVED]

Thanks Snarkout.  Your reference to 'fat32' iPod got me thinking so I opened up a terminal and - to cut a long story short - it wasn't even mounted.  Once I mounted it, small miracles started to happen....

Thanks for the advice.  This post is now resolved.:)

Board footer