You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-18 16:48:34

fishonadish

Advice on image metadata, XMP ITPC etc.

Hi,

I'm trying to find the best way to tag my photos.  It's a pretty big task so I don't want to have to ever do it again once I've gone through them.  Therefore, I want to have tags written into the file metadata, in case I change apps, move them etc.

It seems there are two main ways to do this - using the newer XMP tags, or using the IPTC keywords.  Since support for the two varies, it seems embedding a copy of both would be the best thing to do, in the same way mp3s often have id3 tags of both version 1 and 2.

I've checked out a few different apps, and found the following:

mapivi - http://mapivi.sourceforge.net/mapivi.shtml
Can add IPTC keywords quite well, but I'm not too inclined to use it as my photo manager

Picasa
Can add IPTC keywords, but its tags aren't added as such - one could tag the pics then select each tag and add it as a keyword to all the selected pics. 
Also, keywords are added as 'keyword\x{()}', which upsets Mapivi (presumably it doesn't parse the brackets properly?), and  the same problem could arise elsewhere.

F-spot
Apparently adds tags as XMP data, as far as I can find out from google searches.  It also imports IPTC keywords, but I don't think it writes them.

So far, I'm leaning towards f-spot since it seems the nicest app to me.  However,  it writes its tags as XMP data and support for IPTC seems more common.  Perhaps there's another app that can read the XMP data and write it into the IPTC keywords too?

Anyway, sorry for such a long post, but I'd appreciate any advice on this.  As I said, it's not a job I want to have to do twice.

Thanks.
regards,
Fishonadish

Last edited by fishonadish (2007-02-18 17:00:55)

Board footer