You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-19 01:29:43

heathen

speedstep_centrino, cpufreq? [Solved]

I'm trying to enable cpufreq and when arch tries to load module speedstep_centrino it says I dont have it.

I was trying to follow the beginners guide here and my forum searches havent yeilded results that will work.
I followed this guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SpeedStep) and got cpudyn to work but it limits me to 1.3GHz instead of the 1.73 that I'm supposed to.  Otherwise cpudyn works great.  Can someone point me to a wiki or post that may help me?

the computer is a toshiba satellite M45.  cat /proc/cpu gives me this... incase I'm missing something

[root@laptop ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 162.500
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up est tm2
bogomips        : 3461.63
clflush size    : 64

Last edited by heathen (2007-02-19 23:10:47)

insanity happens...

#2 2007-02-19 08:42:44

billy

Re: speedstep_centrino, cpufreq? [Solved]

which kernel are you using? if it is 2.6.20 you should load acpi-cpufreq instead of speedstep-centrino because speedstep-centrino merged into acpi-cpufreq.

#3 2007-02-19 13:15:49

lanrat

Since 2.6.20 speedstep-centrino is depreciated though it should still work. But it's better to blacklist it in /etc/rc.conf (just in case) and load acpi-cpufreq.

I'm using cpufrequtils with the standard kernel modules and it works very well. All you have to do is to place !speedstep-centrino apci-cpufreq cpufreq-ondemand in /etc/rc.conf MODULES array, install cpufrequtils, edit /etc/conf.d/cpufreq (it's very simple) and add cpufreq (not cpufreqd!) to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf. That's it. It the easiest way IMO. The minimum freq for this type of CPU is 800 MHz and that's how it usually works with the ondemand governor and my Toshiba M40X laptop.

Last edited by lanrat (2007-02-19 13:16:20)

#4 2007-02-19 19:29:12

cougar

In my case, I've got some troubles with acpi-cpufreq: apps are really really slow to start.
No problem with speedstep-centrino !

#5 2007-02-19 23:08:34

heathen

lanrat wrote:

Since 2.6.20 speedstep-centrino is depreciated though it should still work. But it's better to blacklist it in /etc/rc.conf (just in case) and load acpi-cpufreq.

I'm using cpufrequtils with the standard kernel modules and it works very well. All you have to do is to place !speedstep-centrino apci-cpufreq cpufreq-ondemand in /etc/rc.conf MODULES array, install cpufrequtils, edit /etc/conf.d/cpufreq (it's very simple) and add cpufreq (not cpufreqd!) to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf. That's it. It the easiest way IMO. The minimum freq for this type of CPU is 800 MHz and that's how it usually works with the ondemand governor and my Toshiba M40X laptop.

this got it... I never had the "speedstep_centrino" module, I had already loaded cpufreq and utils, and edited the file so all i needed to do was add the modules to the line..

Thanks for all the suggestions.  And for getting it fixed for me.

I love the community here.

insanity happens...

Board footer