You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-21 19:47:38

drewch

kernel panic

hey, i just installed arch, and then booted my computer, installed xorg and other things, opened a session in twm, and used pacman to get some other programs such as gaim, and fluxbox for a wm.  Then i restarted again to get into fluxbox, I click on arch linux at the grub bootloader, and i get the following error.

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

Does anyone know how to help?
is this a grub.conf problem?  Or what is it, and how can i fix it?
Thanks so much
Andrew

#2 2007-02-21 20:24:01

closet geek

Re: kernel panic

Taken from here: http://www.openaddict.com/review_of_arc … mmick.html

I was met with kernel panics. To be more specific, the error message was kernel panic – not syncing! At this point I was back at the Arch Wiki to find out what went wrong. I discovered that when I was upgrading the day before, I noticed some instructions of some programs that were being updated, but scrolled by too fast to fully read what the directions stated. Since Arch no longer uses mkinitrd, the stanza within my /boot/grub/menu.lst was incorrect. Since I installed GRUB, all I had to do was hit 'e' within the main GRUB boot screen and then arrow down to edit my file regarding the .img file by hitting the 'e' button again and then hitting enter. Replacing the initrd.img file with kernel26-fallback.img did the trick and I was in my Arch system once again. At this point I edited my menu.lst properly from within the Arch system so I would not have to fact the kernel panic issue once again.

That should point you in the right direction.

cg

#3 2007-02-21 20:35:22

drewch

thanks!! that fixed it, but then at the end he says that once he was back in he edited his grub.conf file again, what do i have to change the kernel fallback to after i boot into arch?
thanks a lot

#4 2007-02-21 21:14:14

closet geek

Hi,

I hope this wiki page is useful to you:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#GRUB

Thanks,

cg

#5 2007-02-21 22:27:18

drewch