You are not logged in.

#1 2026-09-26 08:15:16

stefan_vgapass
Member
Registered: 2014-03-17
Posts: 9

Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

Hi fellas!

I'm trying to update sway and gnome (which has gdm) to update the archlinux packages.

I'm getting the following error(s) but I'd like to be able to update archlinux

  

sudo pacman -R libdisplay-info wlroots0.17 wlroots0.18 wlroots0.19 mpv sway smplayer mpv-thumbfast-git mpv-uosc-git mutter smplayer-skins smplayer-themes gnome-shell gdm gnome-control-center gnome-shell-extensions gnome-shell-extension-dash-to-dock gdm-settings
[sudo] password for stefan: 
checking dependencies...
:: gnome-calendar optionally requires gnome-control-center: Manage online accounts
:: i3blocks-contrib optionally requires mpv: For ytdl-mpv script

Packages (18) gdm-48.0-2  gdm-settings-5.0-1  gnome-control-center-48.3-1  gnome-shell-1:48.3-1  gnome-shell-extension-dash-to-dock-1:101-1
              gnome-shell-extensions-48.3-2  libdisplay-info-0.2.0-2  mpv-1:0.40.0-4  mpv-thumbfast-git-r128.03e93fe-1
              mpv-uosc-git-5.2.0.r22.g1c38d4d-1  mutter-48.4-1  smplayer-25.6.0-1  smplayer-skins-1:20.11.0-3  smplayer-themes-1:20.11.0-2
              sway-1:1.11-1  wlroots0.17-0.17.4-3  wlroots0.18-0.18.2-1  wlroots0.19-0.19.0-1

Total Removed Size:  98.79 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] n


  

Notice the -Rs:

sudo pacman -Rs libdisplay-info mpv mpv-thumbfast-git mpv-uosc-git wlroots0.17 wlroots0.18 wlroots0.19 smplayer smplayer-skins smplayer-themes sway mutter gnome-shell gdm gnome-control-center gnome-shell-extension-dash-to-dock gnome-shell-extensions gdm-settings
checking dependencies...
:: file-roller optionally requires unzip: better ZIP archive support
:: glib2 optionally requires glib2-devel: development tools
:: gnome-calendar optionally requires gnome-control-center: Manage online accounts
:: i3blocks-contrib optionally requires mpv: For ytdl-mpv script
:: networkmanager-openconnect optionally requires libnma-gtk4: GUI support (GTK 4)
:: networkmanager-openvpn optionally requires libnma-gtk4: GUI support (GTK 4)

Packages (42) accountsservice-23.13.9-2  bluez-obex-5.83-1  bolt-0.9.9-1  colord-gtk-common-0.3.1-1  colord-gtk4-0.3.1-1
              cups-pk-helper-0.2.7-2  egl-wayland-4:1.1.19-1  eglexternalplatform-1.2.1-1  glib2-devel-2.84.3-1  gnome-bluetooth-3.0-47.1-2
              gnome-keybindings-48.3-1  gsound-1.0.3-3  iio-sensor-proxy-3.7-1  libgdm-48.0-2  libibus-1.5.32-1  libliftoff-0.5.0-1
              libmalcontent-0.13.0-1  libnma-gtk4-1.10.6-3  libsixel-1.10.5-1  libxpresent-1.0.1-2  mujs-1.3.7-1  seatd-0.9.1-1
              unzip-6.0-22  xcb-util-errors-1.0.1-2  gdm-48.0-2  gdm-settings-5.0-1  gnome-control-center-48.3-1  gnome-shell-1:48.3-1
              gnome-shell-extension-dash-to-dock-1:101-1  gnome-shell-extensions-48.3-2  libdisplay-info-0.2.0-2  mpv-1:0.40.0-4
              mpv-thumbfast-git-r128.03e93fe-1  mpv-uosc-git-5.2.0.r22.g1c38d4d-1  mutter-48.4-1  smplayer-25.6.0-1
              smplayer-skins-1:20.11.0-3  smplayer-themes-1:20.11.0-2  sway-1:1.11-1  wlroots0.17-0.17.4-3  wlroots0.18-0.18.2-1
              wlroots0.19-0.19.0-1

Total Removed Size:  111.31 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] n

Offline

#2 2026-09-26 08:55:44

arojas
Developer
From: Spain
Registered: 2011-10-09
Posts: 2,309

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

stefan_vgapass wrote:

I'm trying to update sway and gnome (which has gdm) to update the archlinux packages.

If you want to update sway, then why don't you update sway? Why are you running `pacman -R` at all?

Offline

#3 2026-09-26 10:27:59

stefan_vgapass
Member
Registered: 2014-03-17
Posts: 9

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

That would be cause in order to update sway I need to be able to pass libdisplay-info which then goes back to sway, gdm, gdm-control-center...

This is my initial package which then breaks into sway, gdm...

sudo pacman -Rs libdisplay-info
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing libdisplay-info breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info' required by mpv
:: removing libdisplay-info breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by mpv
:: removing libdisplay-info breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info' required by mutter
:: removing libdisplay-info breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by wlroots0.17
:: removing libdisplay-info breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by wlroots0.18
:: removing libdisplay-info breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by wlroots0.19

Offline

#4 2026-09-26 10:28:16

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,021

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

stefan_vgapass wrote:

I'm trying to update sway and gnome (which has gdm) to update the archlinux packages.

Just from the particular phrasing: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … nsupported

Offline

#5 2026-09-26 10:45:35

arojas
Developer
From: Spain
Registered: 2011-10-09
Posts: 2,309

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

Again: why are you running pacman -R *at all*? Do you understand what that does?

Offline

#6 Today 09:10:16

stefan_vgapass
Member
Registered: 2014-03-17
Posts: 9

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

I'm running -R because this is what the archlinux update is coming up with:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                    126.8 KiB  69.1 KiB/s 00:02 [################################################] 100% extra                                                     8.5 MiB  3.52 MiB/s 00:02 [################################################] 100%:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace geocode-glib-2 with extra/geocode-glib? [Y/n] 
:: Replace gnome-mimeapps with extra/gnome-session? [Y/n] 
:: Replace gvfs-google with extra/gvfs? [Y/n] 
:: Replace iptables-nft with core/iptables? [Y/n] 
:: Replace libappindicator-gtk3 with extra/libappindicator? [Y/n] 
:: Replace ttf-font-awesome with extra/woff2-font-awesome? [Y/n] 
:: Replace vi with extra/ex-vi-compat? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libdisplay-info (0.3.0-1) breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by wlroots0.17
:: installing libdisplay-info (0.3.0-1) breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by wlroots0.18
:: installing libdisplay-info (0.3.0-1) breaks dependency 'libdisplay-info.so=2-64' required by wlroots0.19

Offline

#7 Today 09:33:11

mithrial
Member
Registered: 2017-03-05
Posts: 171

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

When did you last update? This looks like ages ago.
Remove wlroots:

$ pacman -Rcsu wlroots0.17 wlroots0.18 wlroots0.19

Try first and investigate, the -s flag might remove packages you actually need.

Offline

#8 Today 13:08:01

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,021

Re: Tryinig to update sway I'm getting the following error

Before that:

pacman -Qi wlroots0.17 wlroots0.18 wlroots0.19

why do you even have all of those around?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB