You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Hello all, I recently installed Arch on a cheap laptop I found, and it's mostly been running well save for a major issue:
I have no audio.
I've installed `sof-firmware` `pipewire`, `pipewire-alsa`, `wireplumber`, and so on. I do not have pulseaudio or jack.
When I run `pavucontrol` I can see "Radeon High Definition Audio Controller Pro", as well as "Radeon High Definition Audio Controller Pro 7", and "Radeon High Definition Audio Controller Pro 8". As far as I've tested only the first shows any audio output in `pavucontrol` when I play sound from Firefox.
Now, I can see the audio playing in `pavucontrol`, but no audio actually comes out of the laptop. I can change the volume, as well as mute/unmute as normal using the function keys. If there's anything I can post to give y'all more info, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Offline
Hi! The "Radeon High Definition Audio Controller" entries you are seeing in pavucontrol are the digital audio outputs for your graphics card (HDMI / DisplayPort). Your built-in laptop speakers run on a separate internal audio chipset (usually Realtek, Intel HD Audio, or AMD ACP) that currently isn't appearing or isn't unmuted.
Try to run the command aplay -l and let me know what is the output.
Offline
Thanks for the response ![]()
Here's the results of `aplay -l`:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0It looks like there are only HDMI devices, but I don't have an HDMI cable to test if that actually works atm.
Offline
Try now to install missing alsa package: pacman -S alsa-firmware alsa-ucm-conf
reboot
Check dmesg, run this in terminal to see what the kernel is doing when initializing audio:
sudo dmesg | grep -iE 'snd|audio|acp|sof|firmware'
look closely for any errors like firmware: failed to load... or Direct firmware load for ... failed.
If it names a specific missing file, that tells us exactly which firmware package or binary is required.
Offline
Installed `alsa-firmware` and re-installed `alsa-ucm-conf`, then rebooted.
Ran dmesg and the only thing that seemed to fail was the following:
[ 5.639464] faux_driver regulatory: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 5.639468] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.dbOffline
Please post your complete system journal for the boot:
sudo journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999Offline
Hello, sorry for the late response.
Link here: https://termbin.com/ztte
Last edited by catacombs (Today 06:10:48)
Offline
Sep 28 19:36:19 archlinux kernel: pci 0000:c1:00.5: [1022:15e2] type 00 class 0x048000 PCIe Endpoint
Sep 28 19:36:19 archlinux kernel: pci 0000:c1:00.5: BAR 0 [mem 0xb0580000-0xb05bffff]
Sep 28 19:36:19 archlinux kernel: pci 0000:c1:00.5: BAR 2 [mem 0x4820000000-0x48207fffff 64bit pref]
Sep 28 19:36:19 archlinux kernel: pci 0000:c1:00.5: enabling Extended Tags
Sep 28 19:36:19 archlinux kernel: pci 0000:c1:00.5: PME# supported from D0 D3hot D3cold
Sep 28 19:36:19 archlinux kernel: pci 0000:c1:00.5: Adding to iommu group 20
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: snd_acp_pci 0000:c1:00.5: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)That's a 1022:15e2 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Audio Coprocessor
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: uvcvideo 1-1:1.2: Found UVC 1.50 device HP 5MP Camera (04f2:b872)
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Attempt to CreateField of length zero (20260408/dsopcode-133)
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.WMID.WQBC due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_VALUE) (20260408/psparse-543)
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Attempt to CreateField of length zero (20260408/dsopcode-133)
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.WMID.WQBE due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_VALUE) (20260408/psparse-543)
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: hp_bioscfg: Returned error 0x3, "Invalid command value/Feature not supported"
# This is likely your problem: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sep 28 19:36:23 archon kernel: snd_hda_intel 0000:c1:00.1: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)Can you disable the webcam in the UEFI settings? (Or maybe even enable the audio chip there
)
Offline
Pages: 1