You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 15:57:14

Capiosus
Member
Registered: 2024-05-05
Posts: 2

Error code on motherboard but no errors in any logs

asus prime z790m-plus
intel 14900k
rtx 5070
kernel 7.2.7-arch1-1
nvidia-open 615.71.09-4

problem:
Randomly, an error code will appear on the power LED while everything appears fine. It blinks slowly over 2 seconds, 1s on, 1s off.
I've tried:
looking at journalctl (no error messages)
looking at dmesg (no error messages)
reseating the graphics card and dusting the PCIe port

extra (helpful?) info:
moved to new location, college dorm room now instead of my house.
graphics card was transported out of the PCIe port because i dont like snapped ports
PCIe port's clip is loose and doesn't hold.
PC crashed once during a pacman upgrade but I believe I have recovered everything since then.

what the fuck is going on why is it showing an error code?

Offline

#2 Yesterday 17:21:34

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,066

Re: Error code on motherboard but no errors in any logs

The boards manual should have a decoder table for the status led blinks - from your rendition of the physical condition of the PEG slot the problem is likely around that
But mind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_La … tion_issue !

Online

#3 Yesterday 17:50:31

dimich
Member
From: Kharkiv, Ukraine
Registered: 2009-11-03
Posts: 809

Re: Error code on motherboard but no errors in any logs

Capiosus wrote:

Randomly, an error code will appear on the power LED while everything appears fine. It blinks slowly over 2 seconds, 1s on, 1s off.

According to Q-LED Core FAQ, the error is "No VGA detected".
If you use external graphics card, try to re-plug and secure it. Don't forget to plug external +12V power supply cable, if any.
If you use internal GPU, switch Primary Display from PCIE to iGFX in BIOS settings.

Offline

#4 Yesterday 20:14:57

Capiosus
Member
Registered: 2024-05-05
Posts: 2

Re: Error code on motherboard but no errors in any logs

I appreciate the responses but I have already re-seated the dGPU and dusted the PCIE port, and I know that the CPU already has the microcode patches necessary in order to avoid degradation, so the issue is likely a little more complicated than that. (The CPU was undervolted before the patches came around so it hasn't suffered degradation from use.)

I'd like to have some debugging instructions over difficult solutions please. I'd like to be able to be certain that I need to re-seat my cpu before going through with something complicated enough to cause an issue (because the current state of things is "working," but severely concerning).

Last edited by Capiosus (Yesterday 20:22:26)

Offline

#5 Yesterday 20:23:56

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,066

Re: Error code on motherboard but no errors in any logs

Consult the board manual, if it doesn't contradict @dimich's link, remove the GPU => blinking gone?

re-seated the dGPU and dusted the PCIE port

ok, but what about

PCIe port's clip is loose and doesn't hold

?

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB