You are not logged in.
Hello.
Whenever I try to join a friend's game through Steam Remote Play Together, I just get a crash report for the Steam Streaming process. The crash report looks something like this:
PID: 10668 (streaming_clien)
TID: 10668 (streaming_clien)
UID: 1000 (armin)
GID: 1000 (armin)
Signal: 11 (SEGV) si_code: SEGV_MAPERR
Timestamp: Sat 2026-09-12 19:40:27 CEST (4s ago)
Command Line: /home/armin/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/../ubuntu12_64/streaming_client --universe 1 --realm 1 --steamid 76561198005708558 --gameid 2543180 --appid 2543180 --server 0.0.0.0:0 --transport k_EStreamTransportSDR --relay 162.254.197.54:3478 --cert CiCPncKTq9qPrHYJjdAuOHmHmPpRWkhYe7FfE0hm740rCCJiCAESIJXnelz9qdUbBGO7gfGyWTBVUqiYnYsMkuamkAAzBSZuIUPcQgUBABABRYqOpWpNijGoalDkyBVaCoEBQ9xCBQEAEAFiGXN0ZWFtaWQ6NzY1NjExOTgwNDg1MzM1NzEpGzmq9c9Qg7YyQMQR+N/ift7ANt5ta3ctByIsBVpiQ6cYiukTT5s2oFltCZcsGsb7sv0lediEUfoDUCkAzTLFyhVggiGaLWxkjgc --sdr_config /home/armin/.local/share/Steam/appcache/sdr_config.txt -steam-overlay --settingsdata 40007000aa010d120b08800f10b80820e22e2864d80100e801800af001d005 8a4c15755d242a3093b30a0c773c8656
Executable: /home/armin/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/streaming_client
Control Group: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/app.slice/app-steam@autostart.service
Unit: user@1000.service
User Unit: app-steam@autostart.service
Slice: user-1000.slice
Owner UID: 1000 (armin)
Boot ID: b8af9c982f0f49ed98c407195bc64bd0
Machine ID: f04bf04621c441b7929dcac64b6fa9ef
Hostname: thwomp
Storage: /var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.streaming_clien.1000.b8af9c982f0f49ed98c407195bc64bd0.10668.1789234827000000.zst (present)
Size on Disk: 5.4M
Message: Process 10668 (streaming_clien) of user 1000 dumped core.
Stack trace of thread 10668:
#0 0x00007f5645c43b14 eglGetDisplay (gameoverlayrenderer.so + 0x4db14)
#1 0x00007f5645a8ce2e n/a (libSDL3.so.0 + 0x28ce2e)
#2 0x00007f5645af4503 n/a (libSDL3.so.0 + 0x2f4503)
#3 0x00007f5645acba16 n/a (libSDL3.so.0 + 0x2cba16)
#4 0x00007f5645ace846 n/a (libSDL3.so.0 + 0x2ce846)
#5 0x000055f72ddc77f9 n/a (streaming_client + 0x6e27f9)
#6 0x000055f72ddd76d0 n/a (streaming_client + 0x6f26d0)
#7 0x000055f72ddd913b n/a (streaming_client + 0x6f413b)
#8 0x000055f72de2c59f n/a (streaming_client + 0x74759f)
#9 0x000055f72de2eeec n/a (streaming_client + 0x749eec)
#10 0x000055f72de3e338 n/a (streaming_client + 0x759338)
#11 0x000055f72de3e687 n/a (streaming_client + 0x759687)
#12 0x000055f72de31563 n/a (streaming_client + 0x74c563)
#13 0x00007f5644227781 n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x27781)
#14 0x00007f56442278b9 __libc_start_main (libc.so.6 + 0x278b9)
#15 0x000055f72da91029 n/a (streaming_client + 0x3ac029)
ELF object binary architecture: AMD x86-64It's somewhat strange because Steam Remote Play works flawlessly when I stream from another device I own. It's just when I try to connect to someone else that this crash occurs. I can also host games through Steam Remote Play with few problems.
I run Arch Linux with KDE Plasma 6 on Wayland. Steam is installed from the multilib repository. My graphics card is an old GTX 1060, so I have the AUR packages nvidia-580xx-dkms and nvidia-580xx-utils installed.
I don't know if this is an issue with Steam or with my Arch setup, but just on a hunch I'm guessing it's the latter. If it turns out to be an issue with Steam, I can make a post on the Steam forums instead or contact Steam support.
But does anyone have an idea what might be causing this crash? Is there anymore information I should provide?
Offline
The stack trace makes me suspicious of the graphics/overlay side rather than Remote Play itself. The crash is happening inside `gameoverlayrenderer.so` at `eglGetDisplay()`, with SDL3 immediately below it, so I’d first try isolating the Steam overlay and NVIDIA EGL/Wayland interaction.
As a test, you could try disabling the Steam Overlay for the affected game and see whether Remote Play Together still crashes. I’d also check that the NVIDIA 580xx packages, kernel module, and 32-bit NVIDIA libraries are all from the same driver version, since Steam is using both 32-bit and 64-bit components.
Since streaming from another device works and you can host Remote Play, that distinction is useful. I’d also compare the behavior under an X11 session if possible. If it works there, that would make the Wayland/NVIDIA/SDL path much more suspicious.
If it still crashes, a full `coredumpctl info` output plus the output of `glxinfo -B` and `vulkaninfo --summary` would probably help narrow down the graphics stack involved.
Offline
Thanks for your response!
I don't think you can disable the Steam Overlay with Steam Remote Play, at least not as a client (since I don't have the actual game). But your other ideas seem worth following up on.
Checking earlier today, I had version 580.178.04-1 for all of *nvidia-580xx-dkms*, *nvidia-580xx-utils* and *lib32-580xx-utils*. After an update today, I still have the same version for the lib32-utils, but version 580.178.04-2 for the other two packages. I'm hoping the lib32 package version will catch up to the AUR packages in the coming days.
Anyway, I'll try your ideas the next time I get together with a friend for this, possibly the coming weekend. I'll post the output of the commands you've shown me to see if they provide any insight. I'm especially hopeful about testing an X11 session - I've not tried that before, but if that works, I'd honestly consider that a decent workaround for my problem.
Offline