You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 13:31:45

rupeshforu3
Member
Registered: 2023-01-06
Posts: 130

failed to login desktop environments through sddm after updating os.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a desktop PC with Ryzen zen3 5500GT cpu and asus prime b450 motherboard. I have installed Arch Linux and everything is working fine except I can't login desktop environments through sddm login manager.

Two days back I have installed Arch Linux and all available desktop environments like plasma cinnamon mate gnome etc.,. along with some aur packages like Maxx desktop.

Today morning everything worked fine but afternoon I have updated my system and some packages were updated including kernel 7.2.8.

After restart I have tried to login mate and cinnamon gnome xfce through sddm login manager but failed.

So I have appended the word to all  .desktop"dbus-run-session"  EXEC entry which is present in /usr/share/xsessions.

For example I have a file called cinnamon.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions. In this file I have a line

exec cinnamon-session

I have changed as follows 

exec dbus-run-session cinnamon-session

After restart I have tried to login cinnamon through sddm and this time I am successful.

Upto five desktop environments are not working fine and throwing errors and so I have modified their .desktop files present in /usr/share/xsessions.

Unfortunately my desktop environments look and feel is not good than before.

Kindly try to suggest how to make my system work normally.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Last edited by rupeshforu3 (Yesterday 13:32:50)

Offline

#2 Yesterday 14:43:03

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,403

Re: failed to login desktop environments through sddm after updating os.

You should not need to do that and doing so will unlink your user session from the session you are starting, so potentially something is fundamentally broken in your normal session. SDDM should parse and load the DBUS session correctly on it's own already assuming you are starting it via systemd. without doing your explicit dbus-run-session change, after a failed session start, what's in your journal:

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'file=@-'  https://paste.c-net.org/

and maybe, assuming you can properly log into a TTY, what output do you have from

printenv

Last edited by V1del (Yesterday 14:44:11)

Offline

#3 Yesterday 16:00:26

rupeshforu3
Member
Registered: 2023-01-06
Posts: 130

Re: failed to login desktop environments through sddm after updating os.

The issue is sddm defaults to wayland but rejects or doesn't work properly for x11 logins.

I followed the following steps.

sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11/xinit/disabled
sudo mv /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* /etc/X11/xinit/disabled/

rm -f ~/.Xauthority ~/.ICEauthority

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~
chmod 700 ~

sudo nano /etc/sddm.conf.d/x11.conf

[General]
DisplayServer=x11

sudo pacman -S sddm pam systemd

Now everything is working fine except desktop environments like Maxx desktop which is from Aur not working.

As my system is not working properly I became panic and from the past five days I have installed Arch Linux two times from the beginning.

As I moved files present in xinitrc.d to a temporary directory Maxx desktop is not working but everything else fine.

Packages installed through official repositories work fine but not others and even from Aur.

Offline

#4 Yesterday 16:14:17

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: failed to login desktop environments through sddm after updating os.

SDDM was last updated > 4 months ago, last version updated 1½ years ago, i severely doubt that it *defaults* to wayland (since it would require a compositor and doesn't depend on one) and that would under no circumstances explain problems with your session bus.

Stop flailing around, post the information V1del asked for.

Offline

#5 Yesterday 16:25:03

rupeshforu3
Member
Registered: 2023-01-06
Posts: 130

Re: failed to login desktop environments through sddm after updating os.

https://paste.c-net.org/FasterDefer

SHELL=/bin/bash
VSSCRIPT_PATH=/usr/lib/python3.14/site-packages/vapoursynth/libvsscript.so
XDG_SEAT=seat0
PWD=/build2/build2
LOGNAME=build2
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=tty
MOTD_SHOWN=pam
HOME=/build2/build2
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
TERM=linux
USER=build2
SHLVL=1
XDG_VTNR=3
XDG_SESSION_ID=4
ROCM_PATH=/opt/rocm
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1001
DEBUGINFOD_URLS=https://debuginfod.archlinux.org 
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/build2/build2/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/share/backuppc/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/opt/rocm/bin:/usr/lib/rustup/bin
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1001/bus
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/build2
_=/usr/bin/printenv

in future if the same problem persists can i move all files present in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ to a temorary directory.

Offline

#6 Yesterday 19:02:36

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: failed to login desktop environments through sddm after updating os.

The non-canonical HOME=/build2/build2  might be a problem (why did you chose that path??) and I suspect the actual solution was simply

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~
chmod 700 ~

But the session bus looks ok.
Also you're starting gnome on wayland, picom tries to start and fails - but that's expectable and likely an outfall of the budgie installation

Do you have a journal from an older boot where things failed?
What if you undo the other nonsense, particularly

sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11/xinit/disabled
sudo mv /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* /etc/X11/xinit/disabled/

sudo nano /etc/sddm.conf.d/x11.conf

[General]
DisplayServer=x11

sudo pacman -S sddm pam systemd

You won't be able to undo "rm -f ~/.Xauthority ~/.ICEauthority" but you're not running an X11 session anyway.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB