You are not logged in.

#1 2026-10-02 16:10:20

sakoora
Member
Registered: 2026-02-20
Posts: 2

Gajim Promps for Password At Every App Start

Hello!
I am facing a problem with Gajim (i.e., Jabber client) on Arch Linux.
It prompts for a password at every application start.

I use XFCE4 as my DE and KeePassXC to store my Jabber password (if that information helps).

Can someone please guide me on what steps I should take to solve this problem so that I don't have to enter password everytime I open Gajim?

Thank you in advance.

Related: Gajim requests for a password every application start

Offline

#2 2026-10-03 09:54:07

rlct0
Member
Registered: 2024-05-15
Posts: 5

Re: Gajim Promps for Password At Every App Start

Gajim relies on secret service keyring to store and retrieve the passwords. I.e things like gnome-keyring, oo7 or kwallet. With Gajim there seems to be an issue as it will prompt for your password when the secret service keyring is locked instead of prompting to unlock it. Therefore, you need to ensure that a secret service provider is running and that the keyring is unlocked before launching gajim.

As far as I know, you can use Keepassxc as your secret service provider, however it lacks a PAM module needed to unlock it on login, so you will have to unlock it manually.

If you don't want to do that each time, many display managers are configured to unlock gnome-keyring with PAM by default and it's a common choice for XFCE4. Install it, make sure it's running and let gajim save the password in there, after which it should just work. If it asks you to assign a password for the keyring, use the same password you use for your system user or else it won't unlock automatically.

Last edited by rlct0 (2026-10-03 10:04:03)

Offline

#3 2026-10-03 10:12:59

SimonJ
Member
From: Spain
Registered: 2021-05-11
Posts: 388
Website

Re: Gajim Promps for Password At Every App Start

You do need to unlock keepassxc on login manually, however after that it works perfectly as the secret service provider.

You need to set this up and then all applications can access the passwords you allow visible to the system.

In addition it is fully portable and you can backup the file and sync with your phone, so once set up, it is much easier to look after than kwallet or gnome.keyring, IMHO.


Rlu: 222126

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB