You are not logged in.

#26 Yesterday 19:27:54

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,215

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

those between GRUB (EFI BootNext) and snapshots.

Ok, those are completely irrelevant, you care about the Archlinux entries.

I have absolutely no idea how can I do that, as I mentioned before

You can just edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg, there you fix the bogus "root=UUID=ccb76741-0bb4-46f1-a84c-63c2c7fa2996" w/ what grub/linux actually kindly told you

cryptdevice-UUID-a9bBc3e0-b1de-4a03-83e1-0a6f a53947aa:root root=/dev/mapper/root

- except that's of course a bogus transcript and should read "cryptdevice=UUID=a9b0c3e0-b1de-4a03-83e1-0d6fd53947dd:root root=/dev/mapper/root"
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … oot_loader

I hope it at least starts to dawn on you that abusing archinstall as chectcode to install archlinux was kind of a mistake.

@Acor the OPs posts are ridden w/ transcription errors and the /boot partition seems to load according to the posted lsblk output and the immediate problem concerns the root partition.
But that would at least get you a warning from mount and also the dump and fsck behaviors would be wrong, https://man.archlinux.org/man/fstab.5#T … q%3C/i%3E).
@ZplenoX you certainly want to look into that regardless

Online

#27 Yesterday 20:00:58

ZplenoX
Member
Registered: 2024-12-13
Posts: 17

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

yeah now I can actually boot my system with no further steps required.

I hope it at least starts to dawn on you that abusing archinstall as chectcode to install archlinux was kind of a mistake.

yeah, I actually started using arch 2 years ago, on my desktop. I used archinstall for my first installation,I updated my system couple times a week for almost a year , and never had any problems anytime, as I never had to dive deep into system configuration. Then bought this laptop and ever since I did, my system broke everytime I updated. First it was a lib package error where it had problems with git versions of hyprland and I had to manually downgrade it. Then it was nvidia driver change, suddenly hdmi output stopped working completely and I had to manually add kernel parameters. Later I had to move my /boot partition into a new one, and next time I ran -Syu and reboot the system could not find boot parititon, as I could not fix the problem and had to reinstall once again. This one is the latest one and probably isnt the last one and I am scared to update my system only to end up in black screen once again.

As a cyber security student I really should have learned more about linux itself, as I currently cannot go any further than basic terminal commands.

Anyways, as the problem solved I have a couple questions if only you have time for:

    -What are the chances of this repeating after next update?

    -What exactly caused this problem?

    -And anything further I should do before I update the next time?

Thanks for your time and aid.

Offline

#28 Yesterday 21:28:37

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,215

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

What are the chances of this repeating after next update?

grub-mkconfig being run and not detecting the LUKS condition.
You could run grub-mkconfig manually and see whether it now acts correctly (you don't have to -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg, the default output is stdout)

What exactly caused this problem?

Primarily the failure of grub-mkconfig to automatically detect and configure the LUKS condition, did you ever post your /etc/default/grub ?

Online

#29 Yesterday 22:07:46

ZplenoX
Member
Registered: 2024-12-13
Posts: 17

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

You could run grub-mkconfig manually and see whether it now acts correctly

the output reverted it back to what it was, probably gonna repeat afterwards

did you ever post your /etc/default/grub ?

here it is:

 # GRUB boot loader configuration

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Arch"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loglevel=3 quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nvidia_drm.fbdev=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Preload both GPT and MBR modules so that they are not missed
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_gpt part_msdos"

# Uncomment to enable booting from LUKS encrypted devices
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

# Set to 'countdown' or 'hidden' to change timeout behavior,
# press ESC key to display menu.
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

# Uncomment to use basic console
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
#GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `videoinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

# Uncomment to allow the kernel use the same resolution used by grub
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

# Uncomment if you want GRUB to pass to the Linux kernel the old parameter
# format "root=/dev/xxx" instead of "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx"
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

# Uncomment and set to the desired menu colors.  Used by normal and wallpaper
# modes only.  Entries specified as foreground/background.
#GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-blue/black"
#GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="light-cyan/blue"

# Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme
#GRUB_BACKGROUND="/path/to/wallpaper"
#GRUB_THEME="/path/to/gfxtheme"

# Uncomment to get a beep at GRUB start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

# Uncomment to make GRUB remember the last selection. This requires
# setting 'GRUB_DEFAULT=saved' above.
#GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

# Uncomment to disable submenus in boot menu
#GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y

# Probing for other operating systems is disabled for security reasons. Read
# documentation on GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER, if still want to enable this
# functionality install os-prober and uncomment to detect and include other
# operating systems.
#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false  

Offline

#30 Today 06:40:50

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,215

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

That's for https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB#Encrypted_/boot which I assume you don't use - not sure whether that throws the generation off

Online

#31 Today 07:28:04

ZplenoX
Member
Registered: 2024-12-13
Posts: 17

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

That is a line I thought it may be related and uncommented. It did not change anything tho.

Offline

#32 Today 11:47:28

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,215

Re: "Failed to mount the real root device" after -Syu

You can trace the script by adding "set -x" to /etc/grub.d/10_linux, redirect stdout/-o to /dev/null or stderr into a file to split them for analysis.

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB