You are not logged in.

#1 Today 06:55:42

xschatten
Member
Registered: 2022-11-14
Posts: 7

SDDM stuck on boot loop?

hello everyone! yesterday I updated arch as normally, and today when trying to open my PC, SDDM has been stuck in a weird restart loop, in which the login screen flickers for a second, then goes back to the arch boot screen and starts up a new session. I tried switching to another TTY but it doesn't work. how should I proceed in this situation? I was thinking of reinstalling arch but I have some data I would like to recover first. here are some pics:

Example 1
Example 2

Last edited by xschatten (Today 07:26:39)

Offline

#2 Today 07:21:19

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,218

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

That's not a "boot loop" but journal spam from drkonqi
The important bit is probably the failure to mount /mnt/KINGSTON - do you have hat in your fstab?

Either plug that in (likely some USB key) or boot some live distro and clean up the fstab.

Edit: please also replace the oversized screenshots w/ links (the board has a 250x250 px rule to keep everyones mousewheels cool)

Last edited by seth (Today 07:22:09)

Online

#3 Today 07:36:25

xschatten
Member
Registered: 2022-11-14
Posts: 7

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

ok, I plugged in the KINGSTON device, how the error seems to be gone, but the flickering issue still persists. now it doesn't seem to create endless instances though, just go into and back the SDDM login screen:

updated 1
updated 2

I'm still not able to switch to another TTY...

PS: sorry about the huge images, corrected that now.

Last edited by xschatten (Today 07:36:46)

Offline

#4 Today 08:06:12

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,218

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

Can you boot the multi-user.target (2nd link below)?
From there you can post the journal of the previous boot,

sudo journalctl -b -1 | nc termbin.com 9999

Online

#5 Today 08:40:15

xschatten
Member
Registered: 2022-11-14
Posts: 7

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

is there any other way to do that without booting into a live distro, if the TTY doesn’t work?

Offline

#6 Today 11:29:51

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,218

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

The wiki wrote:

Alternatively, append one of the following kernel parameters to your boot loader:

systemd.unit=multi-user.target (which roughly corresponds to the old runlevel 3),
systemd.unit=rescue.target (which roughly corresponds to the old runlevel 1).

Online

#7 Today 11:37:35

xschatten
Member
Registered: 2022-11-14
Posts: 7

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

I couldn't figure out how to append the params from the wiki (pressing e does nothing for me, I have systemd-boot), but I managed to boot into the installation medium and generated this journal https://termbin.com/op1si

Offline

#8 Today 11:49:08

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,218

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

Ah

Oct 10 13:56:50 arch-teo systemd-coredump[1184]: Process 788 (Xorg) of user 0 dumped core.
                                                 
                                                 Stack trace of thread 788:
                                                 #0  0x00007f07baa9a11c n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x9a11c)
                                                 #1  0x00007f07baa3e5d0 raise (libc.so.6 + 0x3e5d0)
                                                 #2  0x00007f07baa25685 abort (libc.so.6 + 0x25685)
                                                 #3  0x000055c010cce47c OsAbort (Xorg + 0x16d47c)
                                                 #4  0x000055c010cda958 FatalError (Xorg + 0x179958)
                                                 #5  0x000055c010cd0fa3 n/a (Xorg + 0x16ffa3)
                                                 #6  0x00007f07baa3e6f0 n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x3e6f0)
                                                 #7  0x00007f07ba3399a5 n/a (amdgpu_drv.so + 0x129a5)
                                                 #8  0x000055c010c318d5 n/a (Xorg + 0xd08d5)
                                                 #9  0x000055c010c49af8 n/a (Xorg + 0xe8af8)
                                                 #10 0x000055c010c4b57b n/a (Xorg + 0xea57b)
                                                 #11 0x000055c010c4a84a n/a (Xorg + 0xe984a)
                                                 #12 0x000055c010b9633e n/a (Xorg + 0x3533e)
                                                 #13 0x00007f07baa27781 n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x27781)
                                                 #14 0x00007f07baa278b9 __libc_start_main (libc.so.6 + 0x278b9)
                                                 #15 0x000055c010b96955 _start (Xorg + 0x35955)

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=315135 - tl;dr xorg-server broke ABI compatibility and crashes at least xf86-video-amdgpu

Online

#9 Today 12:12:52

xschatten
Member
Registered: 2022-11-14
Posts: 7

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

thanks a lot for the help! I'm typing this on Arch and could successfully boot into the system. I disabled vrr and tearfree in the xorg config file, that should do it for now (I use Wayland most of the time). cheers!

Offline

#10 Today 17:40:23

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,218

Re: SDDM stuck on boot loop?

\o/
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB