You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-25 01:45:33

timm

Dual Boot Issues

I've been running Arch for a few years, but I finally have a system where I want to dual boot Arch and Windows XP.  This is a box that is a couple years old; Athlon 2400+ processor, etc.

I installed Windows XP and left a fair amount of room on my first hard drive (there are 2).  I went to install Arch on the second hard drive, figuring I would try that, and started the normal installation process (not the ide-legacy); I auto-partitioned the 2nd hard drive; went back to boot.  Big oops.  For some reason the normal installation reversed the order of my drives, hda became hdb and vice versa.  No data, so no biggie.

I went back and reinstalled Windows, then installed arch using the ide-legacy setup.  Everything seemed to go fine, but when I reboot I get an error:

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM drive.  Invalid partition table.

I figured I must have misconfigured something in grub, so I reinstalled again, same result.  My partitions are hda1 (where windows is), hda2 (swap) and hda3 (arch - I had a boot partition the first time but got rid of that the second just to simplify things.)  I installed grub on hda3.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious; why am I getting this partition table error?

#2 2007-02-25 03:00:13

timm

Re: Dual Boot Issues

Ok, looks like at least part of the problem is that I had 2 partitions marked as bootable.  Took one off and that error is gone.  Windows still won't boot, but now at least Arch will.

#3 2007-02-25 07:33:34

somairotevoli

Re: Dual Boot Issues

Could you please post your menu.lst

Board footer