You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-26 15:08:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

pmount, auto-mounting and fstab

I seem to have a knowledge gap when it comes to recent developments with this stuff - you could say I am still pre-DBUS/HAL.

I always set my devices up to mount on dirs in /mnt using fstab with users permissions but I get the feeling that is a bit old school.  Auto-mounting in KDE and XFCE clearly doesn't use this method.  So what do I need to do to take advantage of these new mounting/permissions processes outside of KDE and XFCE?  Is it just all pmount and knowing /dev allocations or can I work so udev rule magic with it?  Is there some howto's about?  What is best practice these days?

#2 2007-02-26 15:48:37

fk

Re: pmount, auto-mounting and fstab

In KDE you only need to install hal and pmount, thats all..

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#3 2007-02-26 16:02:31

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

mostly use pmount ... [goes to /media] do not like messing with fstab

hal dbus its all hotplug to me... more for the bigger desktops like KDE Gnome

udev well plenty of wiki pages on that

sorry if thats no help to you, would rather control mounting from cli ;-)

Mr Green

#4 2007-02-26 16:26:43

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I guess nobody saw the following comment then:

So what do I need to do to take advantage of these new mounting/permissions processes outside of KDE and XFCE?

wink

#5 2007-02-26 19:00:29

Linteg

dtw wrote:

I guess nobody saw the following comment then:

So what do I need to do to take advantage of these new mounting/permissions processes outside of KDE and XFCE?

wink

Maybe ivman is something for you then, it doesn't need a DE and it's in extra smile
There's a nice little guide in the Gentoo wiki.

#6 2007-02-26 20:29:27

mutlu_inek

Yes, ivman does a good job. I highly recommend it. However, make sure that the devices you want to have added dynamically are _not_ in /etc/fstab, otherwise looking for them in /media and subsequent debugging are in vain. (Guess what I did roll)

#7 2007-02-26 23:37:52

Alethos

AUTOFS?
I haven't tried it yet but it's the route I'll try first when I get around to it (hopefully within a week or so). I couldn't get it to work with automounting /home across an nfs but removable media might be easier.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AutoFS_HowTo

#8 2007-02-27 17:42:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't actually want auto-mounting.  I wanted to know how this auto-mounting works and if I could use the same method to make manually mounting my devices a bit easier.

#9 2007-02-27 17:49:28

hugin

the best fastest way I've found for manual mounting to work, is making udev rules to create unique /dev symlinks for your devices (at least the most common ones; although CDs are a bit rougher) and then just use good old mount.  this gives you the added benefit of having static mount points, so you could keep firefox profiles, ssh/gpg keys, etc on a thumbdrive, and symlink from your home dir.  I don't actually use it like that, but as I was posting it, it seemed like one could.  Encrypt it for added security.

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

Board footer