You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-19 11:53:27

lanrat

digikamplugins missing in menus when digikam not run as root

Hi

I wonder If anyone experienced such problem with digikam 0.6.1 and digikam plugins 0.6.1 (latest versions from tpowa's tur). I already discussed this on tur-users mailing list but unfortunatelly it seems that it's not a package specific problem - it has to do something with my kde or something else.

I can see the plugins available in tools and album menus but only when I run digikam as root. When I run it as a user then it can't find/enable any plugins (but digikam runs fine including camera client). There are no visible errors in xterm - It only says that Ktrader found 0 services for digikam/plugin:

kio (KTrader): KServiceTypeProfile::offers( Digikam/Plugin, ) 
kio (KTrader): Returning 0 offers 

I tried removing digikam, digikamplugins and all digikam*rc files and clearing /tmp and /var/tmp. I could not find anything more with locate that could have any influence on digikam. This did not improved anything :-(

I'm sure this must be something simple like permissions on some stupid kde/dcop/whatever file etc but I'm running out of options... (when I was  setting up and testing my camera without hotplug configured for the first time I had to run digikam after su form my user account and that changed permissions for some dcop file which disallowed me later to run kde apps until I changed these permission back to my user. Since then I did not find any problems with kde apps except this one).

Anyone experienced something like this (maybe even not with digikam but some other kde app with plugins)? Any ideas are welcomed. I really would like to be able to fully use digikam from my user account (BTW I'm usually running xfce not kde for everyday work)

Tnx in advance for any response :-)

#2 2004-04-19 21:41:21

lanrat

Re: digikamplugins missing in menus when digikam not run as root

Victory! :-)

Now I know why I couldn't get plugins to show up in digikam menus. I had to remove /var/tmp/kdecache-my_user_name. Some files (IMO the important one is ksycoca) had wrong owner and permissions (root/root).
This is probably a result of running kde apps from xfce4 xterm after su (which I mention above). After removing kdecache from /var/tmp and  running digikam again, kde recreated its files again but with proper permissions this time (user_name/users). I hope I won't break anything else this way  roll .
I have to remember not to run kde apps after su  :oops: or I'll have to figure it out how can this be done properly  :?: (I mean I have to take a closer look to my paths... well just after I'll finish playing with digikam plugins :-)).

Board footer