You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-19 21:09:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

4GB ram limit

big_smile  smile

Much confusion re: 4GB limit in googling.
    Have 1500MB ram and if I change to 4GB Highmem, what effective ram limit will be encountered in kernel2.6.5?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-04-19 21:12:56

dp
Website

Re: 4GB ram limit

in the arch stock-kernel i think it's 4gb, but kernel 2.6.x supports much more, if compiled the way to support, so dont worry, just rebuild the kernel the right way :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-04-19 22:34:29

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: 4GB ram limit

big_smile  smile dp;
   Thanks for reply!

The ....(right way)... to configure kernel I am not yet familiar with. (prep)

The basic question asked was what limit will I incur using 4GB Highmem in kernel but having only 1500MB installed( 896MB if using standard kernel2.6.5 with 1GB as limit of installed ram).

The answer has to be somewhere between 896 and 1500 but I need to know the expected value of useable ram under those conditions before I go through the effort of changing the kernel only to find out it wasn't worth the pain and suffering.....

What is the right way to configure the kernel?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer