You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-28 14:47:40

mr4v0

Install CD kernel panic (0.7.2)

Hi to all on this forum, and a big thanks to developers of this distro.

I get kernel panic when booting the install CD.
That is: I put the arch-0.7.2 install CD in my CDrom, then i type "arch(-noscsi) earlymodules=piix (or earlymods=piix) ide-legacy noapic nolapic etc., etc.
When I hit enter some lines whizz by till the line "Loading all-modules from CD" (or something).
After that I get: <0> Kernelpanic  - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt. yikes

The machine is: PentiumII 233MHz, 32MB ram, Hercules Graphics card & some HDD (yep, it's still alive! tongue)

Thank you for your help.

ps. I get the same error with Ubuntu 6.10 install/live CD, but it requires 128MB ram. At first I thought it was ram...

#2 2007-02-28 15:26:46

mr4v0

Re: Install CD kernel panic (0.7.2)

The solution to my problem is : ide=nodma
wahaha, I'm a happy man... for now.
cheers!

#3 2007-03-01 10:48:01

mr4v0

Re: Install CD kernel panic (0.7.2)

One more thing for ppl with 32MB ram or less(?).

When using the quickinst script I got the "not enough space on the device" error. And the problem is that the script is using the /tmp dir to extract the packages into. But /tmp dir in my case was about 14Megs, way to small. Luckily for me, I have prepared a swap partition with 256Megs. I unmounted /tmp (tmpfs), reformated swap with mke2fs and remounted it as /tmp. Problem solved. I know I could fiddle with a script, but I'm not a scripting freak.

[Idea for developers:] Maybe you can use /mnt/tmp which is on the harddisk, instead of tmpfs which is in RAM.

I have to resolve some issues with config files now, my boot stops around "Starting uDevices" or something.

Cheers to all, hope it helps.

Board footer