Website

Re: Why im going back to gentoo:

It's back from the grave!!!

#52 2007-02-28 01:50:44

belgar

bakaohki wrote:
cromero wrote:

I was a gentoo user and i can tell you guys im not going back unless arch disappears. Not only installing something in arch is A LOT faster than installing something in gentoo, but making a PKGBUILD is also easier than an ebuild, and aur does work great. I cant remember the last time a did a successful emerge world in gentoo.

Same here, I totally agree. Arch just works - Gentoo hardly; not going back, I'm sure. Sry for the short post, had to say it smile

Gentoo works exceptionally well as long as you don't have an aversion to reading and learning, which seems to be the problem with the world today. tongue

#53 2007-02-28 02:05:48

codemac
Website

belgar wrote:

Gentoo works exceptionally well as long as you don't have an aversion to reading and learning, which seems to be the problem with the world today. tongue

Because, you know, reading  build output really teaches you about linux.... roll

#54 2007-02-28 09:15:53

STiAT

Using the gigabit.nu mirror i constantly load with the maximum performance my cable connection provides (6 mbit).

I don't think pacman ever was slow. I just looked up if gentoo has a serious binary portage system already, since i thought about to switch if so.
They don't, and i don't feel it's nice having a high system load all the time, just for upgrading some packages.

Though, by knowing pacmans code, i'm not that happy with pacman too (macros, goto, etc, etc), what's more code based than functionality.

I think pacman should get a little code-cleanup, as some guys on the lists already mentioned.
And a doxygen documentation for public interfaces of alpm smile.

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#55 2007-02-28 12:08:58

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

codemac wrote:
belgar wrote:

Because, you know, reading  build output really teaches you about linux.... roll

Eh?

He's referring to the ridiculously abundant documentation and support. Arch doesn't even hold a candle this regard. In fact, its been my first stop for documentation for quite some time now.

I wish people would stop distro bashing, it does nothing but make you look childish and narrow minded.

#56 2007-02-28 16:34:53

codemac
Website

Yikes ok.

I'll take my humor elsewhere.

#57 2007-02-28 16:53:18

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Damn, swooshonln you really know how to make Gentoo users look bad hmm

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#58 2007-02-28 19:16:34

belgar

codemac wrote:
belgar wrote:

No reading build output will make you go insane....;) All I meant was that Gentoo is not for the "check my email then surf some pron" crowd. All in all, I just wanted to put my two cents in about someone disparaging my chosen distro, in case a wayward soul read their comments.

#59 2007-02-28 19:17:56

belgar

T-Dawg wrote:
codemac wrote:
belgar wrote:

Eh?

He's referring to the ridiculously abundant documentation and support. Arch doesn't even hold a candle this regard. In fact, its been my first stop for documentation for quite some time now.

I wish people would stop distro bashing, it does nothing but make you look childish and narrow minded.

Agreed! smile

#60 2007-02-28 19:44:13

codemac
Website

OK, so it was a bad quip, I get it.

And yes, gentoo has some excellent documentation.

What I personally learned from gentoo most when I was running it was not Linux smarts, how common linux software worked, etc, but how to wrestle with gentoo.  Circular dependencies, flags, masks, running a lot of stuff as root because I didn't understand what was going on and didn't want to learn.

I had a bad experience with gentoo overall, sorry it came out with a bad and overused criticism.

#61 2007-03-01 00:56:58

belgar

No worries, in some of the previous releases of Gentoo, I too banged my head against the wall trying to figure things out but luckily I got excellent answers from the Gentoo forums and docs. Now I wouldn't dream of jumping distros, but that's my choice. So for all the people out there that come across this thread, while looking for a distro to call your own, just remember to ask questions and read the documentation before throwing your hands in the air and giving up. big_smile

Board footer