You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-01 15:37:38

K2712

Ideas for informative speech about Linux/OSS

I'm taking a public speaking course, and my next assignment is an informative speech about a topic you feel you know better than anyone else in the course.  While I am not a linux expert, I have been using arch as my primary OS for ~2 years, and since there are no other obvious computer "geeks" in my class, I thought I would give my speech on Linux and Open Source Software.  The biggest problem with this is how to make it interesting for my classmates, most of whom don't use computers for anything more than myspace, facebook, etc...

Any ideas you guys could provide would be great, or if you think this is a hopeless cause, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2007-03-01 15:53:43

noriko
Website

Re: Ideas for informative speech about Linux/OSS

well i can't help on the part about making it interesting...
but i would like to make a point.

if you are gettign the marks for the content qualioty of your speech, then why bother how the rest of your class feel about it, afterall they aren't marking it; are they?

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2007-03-01 15:57:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

your classmates almost certainly share music. Discuss the social aspects of open source software, how the community helps the community, and then how this cooperative philosophy is branching into other areas like music and video sharing. Its probably better not to go into the legal details.

Dusty

#4 2007-03-01 16:11:34

K2712

Unfortunately, a large portion of my grade is how the audience listens/reacts to the speech, so if they are bored out of their minds, then my grade will suffer.

My initial plan has been to spent a good portion about how linux is free, especially as in the free beer aspect, to grab their attention, and then explain how the other aspect of being free, as in the community, makes it an enjoyable experience.  The file-sharing and ability to customize are good points, I'll be sure to add them.

Thanks.

#5 2007-03-01 18:53:19

F

I agree with Dusty. Start off with Open source philosophy. Maybe you can branch out and discuss hypotheticals if other systems used the same philosophy (ie. politics? religion? perhaps you can talk about companies/businesses that are cooperatives?)

#6 2007-03-01 19:29:49

tlaloc

To make things interesting, you should pose a simple question like "Why is it that a bunch of unpaid people produce in their spare time/garages something almost as good (or even better) than a huge software company can produce in years of development and with millions of investment?". For the sake of clarity, you should focus on a successful application like Firefox or OO, rather than the complex Linux thing. The basic resource is - of course - the classic essay by Eric S. Raymond "The cathedral and the bazaar" (Freely available anywhere).

I also remember that there was fine, concise and newbie-friendly text in issue 13 of tuxmagazine (May 2006), which focussed on the notion of "control" to explain the differences between comercial/free software. The journal may be dead, but backissues ...

http://www.tuxmagazine.com

#7 2007-03-01 19:42:43

pauldonnelly

How much time have you got to fill? Don't try to cram every cool thing into a short one.

I'd probably harp on the community aspect. The idea that anyone with the inclination can join in and make their computer work the way they want it to is an exciting and easily understood part of Linux.

#8 2007-03-01 22:34:58

Stalwart
Website

People like fancy stuff. Talk about beryl wink

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#9 2007-03-01 22:43:00

soloport

Idea I: Ask, "How many of you use Linux?" Ask for raise of hands. Then ask, "How many of you use Google.com?" (probably all).  Then point out that Google is powered by 100's of thousands of Linux-driven boxes.  Then ask, one more time, "How many of you *use* Linux?"  (If I could remember the original keynote speaker's name who presented this idea, I'd give him credit, here.)

Idea II: Present some of the data in this analysis that shows: The vast majority of Linux contributors are paid programmers; Paid to contribute code to Linux's development.  Surprise.  Surprise.  Linux makes terrific -- though counter-intuitive -- business sense.

Idea III: If you can do an overhead slide show presentation, then collect the most outrageous desktop screen-shots you can find and start the "show" as you're talking about other topics.  Toward the end of your talk, refer to the screen and explain that the typical Linux desktop is configurable beyond belief. (This should appeal to, at least, the MySpace crowd in your audience.)

Idea IV: Who uses Linux? Besides Google, Industrial Light and Magic (Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean), Dreamworks (Shrek, Sharktale), Pixar (Toy Story, Nemo), Amazon.com, FedEx, UPS, China, US Gov., (more to find using Google)  Who is committed to supporting Linux? IBM, Intel, HP, Novell, Oracle, Nokia, Sony, etc., etc.  How is Linux used?  Automobile computers, Space Shuttle support systems, Avionics equipment, Patient Monitor machines, Television Production equipment, PDAs, Cell phones, Factory automation, test, measurement and monitoring equipment (i.e. the whole factory).

HTH

EDIT: It was Tim O'Reilly who asked the questions to his audience, way back in 2005 (Idea I).

Last edited by soloport (2007-03-02 04:16:53)

Board footer