You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-02 00:42:09

RobF

k9copy build fails - "Qt not found"

I'm trying to install k9copy, using the pkgbuild from AUR.  The build fails with the following messages:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

qt4 v.4.2.2-1 is installed.

How do I fix this?

Robert

#2 2007-03-02 05:28:14

gradgrind

Re: k9copy build fails - "Qt not found"

You probably need Qt version 3.x, but why not just install the ready built version (in community)?

#3 2007-03-02 17:25:58

RobF

gradgrind wrote:

You probably need Qt version 3.x, but why not just install the ready built version (in community)?

The version of the QT gui toolkit that I have installed is qt4 v.4.2.2-1 (from community).  There is also a package called qt in extra which is v.3.3.8-1 of the QT gui toolkit. 

Since the error was "Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (headers and libraries) not found", I'd think qt4 should be fine.  If I were to install qt from extra, wouldn't that conflict with the install of qt4?

There seem to be plenty of people here who got k9copy to work in Arch.  I wonder why they didn't run into this problem.

Robert

#4 2007-03-02 21:04:06

gradgrind

qt3 and qt4 can coexist happily - they are installed into different directories. qt4 is a very much changed version, not compatible with qt3, and at present only supported by a relatively small number of applications. k9copy is a kde application and the current version of kde uses qt3.

Enable the community repository in /etc/pacman.conf (if not already done) and do 'pacman -Sy k9copy'. That should install everything you need.

#5 2007-03-03 03:37:09

RobF

gradgrind wrote:

qt3 and qt4 can coexist happily - they are installed into different directories. qt4 is a very much changed version, not compatible with qt3, and at present only supported by a relatively small number of applications. k9copy is a kde application and the current version of kde uses qt3.

Enable the community repository in /etc/pacman.conf (if not already done) and do 'pacman -Sy k9copy'. That should install everything you need.

Thanks, that did it.  Previously, I'd tried to build the k9copy package from the pkgbuild in AUR, and that failed as described.

The community repository was enabled in my Arch install.  So, now I simply ran 'pacman -Sy k9copy' which proceeded without error, and installed qt v.3.3.6-4 as well.  K9copy starts up without a problem.  Arch is truly terrific!

On a side note, I'd wanted to check out K9copy because I need to copy a copy-protected and encrypted DVD.  While I was struggling with K9copy, I came across DVDshrink v.3.2, a Windows program that does the required job perfectly, running in Wine.  I'll check tomorrow how well K9copy does the same job.

Robert

Board footer