You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-25 16:35:15

louipc

wiki pages in non-English

Sometimes I'll come across a page that has an English title (or seemingly English title) but is in a completely different language. I usually assume the page will be in English. Is that a reasonable assumption and should those pages be moved to Title_(Language)?

I realize that sometimes the title may use English words but in a different order, which is still kind of misleading.

#2 2007-02-25 23:10:29

byte

Re: wiki pages in non-English

Yep, it would really be nice to agree on something in this regard.
The latest 'standard' goes like this: localized article name with localized language in brackets.
This is too hard to maintain when it comes to foreign charsets, especially the CJK ones. I think the 'usual wiki suspects' should be able to categorize translations in all cases.

#3 2007-02-27 13:53:29

foxbunny
Website

Why are we still discussing this? lol

Anyway, the currently proposed (and hopefully maintained) solution is to add (Language) to any page, regardless of the kind of title. Even if the title couldn't possibly be written the same in any other language, maintainers are requested to put (Language). This is the simplest and hopefully the most effective solution.

EDIT:

One more thing. When I created the category pages for the English section (such as this: Pages sorted by topic), I manually created links to appropriate subcategories in order to make it looks as if no (English) tag were present.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-02-27 13:57:40)

#4 2007-03-02 04:38:35

louipc

Sorry I couldn't find anything on the wiki about it so I posted here. Hm. I didn't think to search past forum posts.

#5 2007-03-03 13:33:41

zergu
Website

foxbunny wrote:

Why are we still discussing this? :lol:

Anyway, the currently proposed (and hopefully maintained) solution is to add (Language) to any page, regardless of the kind of title. Even if the title couldn't possibly be written the same in any other language, maintainers are requested to put (Language). This is the simplest and hopefully the most effective solution.

I know that there have been a lot discussion about this, but I still think it isn't a very good idea. It will be a big mess and a lot of misunderstandings. It's hard to maintain a category tree in multiple languages. And these problems will discourage (especially non-english) people from editing wiki. The other problem is that there are quite many people who actually know something about Arch/Linux but are using only their native language. So I think that only one good solution (but technically much more complicated) is to setup sepereate wikis (pl.wiki... , de.wiki...) and use interwiki. Sperate wikis could be developed by local communities separetly, just like wikipedia. The other good solution is to ask local communities to setup wikis on their own (e.g. polish arch-linux.pl have one already) and to make somehow interwiki work. This will keep main ArchWiki nice and clean and could grow someday to GentooWiki size. What do you think?

#6 2007-03-03 13:57:23

Pierre
Developer
Website

yes i think so. wiki.archlinux.org should be English-only. but ok we have discussed this a lot of times.

#7 2007-03-03 14:16:07

benoitc
Website

interwiki link is a very good idee. Is tehre a way to export all pages by category in mediawiki ? It could help to automatize a little the sxolution and to know which pages to translate.

Benoit

Board footer