You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-03 21:35:32

tastyphox

SLiM Problem, sort-of

Okay, I've taken the pacifier out of my mouth and dove into Arch this weekend. I've been 48 hours into converting an old Dell into a linux sandbox and the challenge has been really rewarding. I've learned more about linux and computers than the rest of my linux experience together. It's really fun, but I've got a problem I just can't grok.

SLiM, when I reboot, fails, and twice. The first time is when I shutdown is says Simple Login Manager Shutdown [Failed] or something. (I'm at work right now so I don't have screenshots.) and then again after Cron shuts down it does it again, same exact thing, Simple Login Manager Shutdown [Failed].

Is there something I have to do to get it to shut down properly? I'm not sure where it's failing, or why, and there's no forum of wiki thing for it that I can find. Btw, It does it's job beautifully, I log in, and I know how to edit the conf file and all, it just fails on shutting down so it's no biggie, I just like all [OK]s running down the screen. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say?

Thanks for the help in advance guys, I love Arch and I can't wait to have a smooth running machine to dink around with, maybe turn into a mythtv/slimserver box. We'll see as soon as I can get SLiM working properly.

#2 2007-03-03 21:41:00

AlmaMater

Re: SLiM Problem, sort-of

http://wiki.archlinux.fr/howto:environn … :xfce-slim

smile

its in french tho, but u can understand

well also is for XFCE, but if u want for gnome for example, u just change a couple of lines

#3 2007-03-03 21:43:02

skymt

Are you starting SLiM in /etc/inittab? If so, you don't need it in the DAEMONS array.

#4 2007-03-03 21:48:53

tastyphox

I'm using XFCE coincidentally, but I don't speak french. I think I can get what it's saying though.... I'll have to wait until I can get to my Arch box and get my french speaking friend over. But is it just that SLiM using different run levels than Arch?

BTW, if he can understand well enough, I think I might try putting it in the wiki in english. I'd love to give back to such an awesome project. And thanks for the quick response. This makes it feel like a community and not just another OS.

#5 2007-03-03 21:51:06

tastyphox

skymt> Oh, well I'm running it in the daemons array, yes. But I didn't put it in inittab, was I supposed to put it in inittab instead of the daemons array?

Last edited by tastyphox (2007-03-03 22:04:53)

#6 2007-03-04 00:47:30

AlmaMater

tastyphox wrote:

I'm using XFCE coincidentally, but I don't speak french. I think I can get what it's saying though.... I'll have to wait until I can get to my Arch box and get my french speaking friend over. But is it just that SLiM using different run levels than Arch?

BTW, if he can understand well enough, I think I might try putting it in the wiki in english. I'd love to give back to such an awesome project. And thanks for the quick response. This makes it feel like a community and not just another OS.

Well dude ill transalate tongue

it says:
Installation of slim ( Simple Login Manager ) :

pacman -S slim

(a theme package its avalible, slim-theme)

Configuration of the automatic graphic interfaze:

As root, modifie the file /etc/inittab and replace the following lines:

id:3:initdefault:

for

id:5:initdefault:

and

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -noadaemon

for

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim

Save, and open now the slim configuration file whit your preferred text editor /etc/slim.conf and replaze the line

login_cmd   exec /bin/sh - ~/.xinitrc %session

for

login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login /opt/xfce4/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc %session

Test of the configuration
To test your configuration

telinit 3 && telinit5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thats basically it, sorry about my english lol, and the transalation is not perfect but more understandable smile

Thats all you have to do, i did the same whitout having slim in my DAEMON

Oh, i think you olso have to install xterm

pacman -S xterm

cheers

#7 2007-03-04 07:32:34

tastyphox

Thanks lots, I'll definitely try this tonight.

I understand even more about the runlevels and stuff now. this cleared lots of things up, thanks.

#8 2007-03-04 09:33:23

tastyphox

Thanks a lot everybody. Percolating smoothly over here now. Though I still want to know WHY it works, since that was the point of me doing this little foray into the underworkings. Is there something wrong with the daemon for SLiM, or did I miss something setting it up in daemon mode that caused it to fail on shutdown?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Board footer