You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-19 18:39:04

Blaasvis

Fonts

I was thinking i really miss a good font package so a lot of standard fonts are added is it a thought, does anyone has some idea's about this.

offcourse i have added a lot of fonts by hand.
so my question is should there be fonts added to the arch repositroy ?

Freedom is what i love

#2 2003-02-19 21:37:29

Rouslan

Re: Fonts

Good idea. Big distros already do that. Any ideas where could we get those missing fonts?

Rouslan

#3 2003-02-19 21:58:47

sarah31
Website

/me doesn't understand everyone's font obsession. :?:

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-02-19 23:41:39

BluPhoenyx

Me either. I only use a few core fonts for most things. XFT is really useless for me on most items as I set the system dpi so all my X fonts display like I want them to. Oh well, I might get used to it with Mozilla 1.3 as I didn't remove the xft option on my version.

On the other-hand, I think alternate language fonts should be available. If not in the standard repository then at least in the unofficial one.

What might be more useful for many users is the sourceforge project which auto-downloads the MS ttf and installs them.

BluPhoenyx

#5 2003-02-20 00:32:05

elanthis
Website

Bitstream released it's Vera fonts (in Beta form only so far), and the final version is due out in a month or so; they are the mystical "high quality free fonts" Linux has been missing forever.  The release note is on http://www.gnome.org.  Note that the beta fonts have a rather restrictive license (they don't want beta fonts distributed, especially since the 1.0 version is already embedded in the fonts, since it's hard to change that later on).

There are also other (less high quality) free fonts available if you search around; terminal fonts are especially large in quantity.

So far as font obsession - well, while a low-quality font can look very good when set at very specific font sizes on certain display devices, try using a variety of font sizes across several mediums (LCD, printer, projector, etc.) and it's pretty easy to see why things like TrueType fonts are nice; one font works everywhere (assuming it's a well built font).  Non anti-aliased fonts are ugly as hell on my LCDs at work and home.  (Yay sub-pixel smoothing!)

What?

#6 2003-02-20 00:52:30

BluPhoenyx

Well, maybe I just got luck. I have used this across several mediums and different systems for that matter.

My laptop's LCD and sometimes with an external monitor, an HP deskjet printer and my big box with it's 19" monitor which I sometimes have to use the older 15" on (when testing systems or whatever) also output to the deskjet as well as VNC desktops.

Maybe it's a visual thing and my eyes simply fill in the blanks.

BluPhoenyx

#7 2003-02-20 08:29:35

Blaasvis

if you sometimes work with the gimp and sodipodi like me you will miss the fonts very much it isn't just for the desktop.
The real reason for me is designing the more fonts you will have the easier it will be to chose the right font for the right website  wink

Freedom is what i love

#8 2003-02-22 06:23:01

BluPhoenyx

Yeah, that's part of the problem here. I don't do much desktop publishing anymore. I am trying to get used to the XFT though and some interesting options have helped.

One is an option from the xfce4 launcher but anyone should be able to use it. Try this:

#=--> Set Xft DPI
#
echo "Xft.dpi:84" | xrdb -merge -

Of course, you may need to adjust the DPI value. The next items are borrowed from the ROX-Filer's session program. You might try adding these to your .xinitrc or .xsession file.

export GDK_USE_XFT=1
export QT_XFT=1

Some other changes are to add TTF, and Type 1 (pfb) and ghostscript (pfa). Of course, I already had these in the X font path so the original font rendering method works too. Some of these are possibly available already. It depends on which applications you have installed. TTF files are harder as many are copyrighted. There are sites with free ones and the sourceforge project for the MS web fonts. Plus, if you own a legal copy of Windows, you have the right to use the fonts (last I heard this was still true, caveat emptor).

BluPhoenyx

Board footer