You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-06 07:52:59

nehsa

Kernel panic - New install after pacman -Syu

After installing Arch I do pacman -Syu and receive a kernel panic message.  I've seen several posts throughout the forums on this issue but nothing I've tried has resolved it. 

Since it sounds like the new kernel is causing the problem, I'd like to build my own.  What's a good way to know what I need to enable when I build my own kernel and how do I prevent pacman from upgrading it?

#2 2007-03-06 08:15:15

WhiteMagic

Re: Kernel panic - New install after pacman -Syu

I normally build my own kernel, a habit from having used Gentoo, so perhaps I can give you some pointers.

Here is a link to the documentation of Gentoo about compiling the kernel by hand. Gentoo guide

A word of warning though about compiling a kernel by yourself.
You will most likely forget a few things you need which can lead to a kernel panic. For me this was in mose cases forgetting to include the proper filesystems.
You will also need to take your time while doing this the first time just to read what all those options do and if they could possibly be needed by you.

Most other options like USB, S-ATA, ACPI, etc. depend what kind of hardware you use.

A quick search on the Arch Wiki turned up the following: Arch Wiki

As I'm new to Arch so I can't say how easy this way is but other users can perhaps tell you something about using ABS to compile a kernel.

Sorry I'm not more specific but if you post the hardware you're running and kind of system me or others can surely help you with options for the kernel.

Board footer