You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-21 13:32:15

Vardyr
Website

Current VS Extra

I realize this is probably a totally newbie question, but it's been itching at me for the past few days.

Why is mozilla-firefox in current, while mozilla and mozilla-thunderbird are in extra?  Also, why is part of KDE in current, and the other part in extra?  This caused at least ten people to get on IRC yesterday and ask why they can't upgrade KDE properly due to the first extra mirror not yet updating.  One would think all of KDE should be in one repository to prevent this in the future.

I'm not quite sure how extra and current are decided upon, but it appears to be rather random, which causes far too much confusion at the moment (at least for me.)

Also, the Totem package has been out of date for quite some time now, shouldn't it be removed from the repositories and moved into unstable or something?

One more thing... in ABS, why is xfce4 in the root /var/abs directory?  Shouldn't it be in x11 or extra? (once again, extra causes confusion for me)

-Vardyr

#2 2004-04-21 15:42:49

Bobonov

Re: Current VS Extra

I'm not quite sure how extra and current are decided upon, but it appears to be rather random, which causes far too much confusion at the moment (at least for me.)

Unstable is for very experimental package that can foundamentally change archlinux functionality

Current/release
they contain the packages you find in the full cd install
release are exaclty the same on the CD
current represent the packages updated

extra are official package officially mantained by archlinux developer/mntainers but that are considered extra to the cd

both kde and gnome are in extra mainly due to their size, keeping them on the CD is very difficoult
Instead of them on the CD there is xfce. Its size is very little compared to kde and gnome, in this way using the cd you can install a full working desktop enviroment.

Why is mozilla-firefox in current, while mozilla and mozilla-thunderbird are in extra?

I dunno, probably to provide a graphical web client on the cd, I agree that also thunderbird should be in current.
Having the 3 of them is retundat, firefox/thunderbird OR mozilla

Also, why is part of KDE in current, and the other part in extra? This caused at least ten people to get on IRC yesterday and ask why they can't upgrade KDE properly due to the first extra mirror not yet updating. One would think all of KDE should be in one repository to prevent this in the future.

Wich part of kde is not in extra. KDE offical application are all in extra
http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php?s … ate=&pp=50

Also, the Totem package has been out of date for quite some time now, shouldn't it be removed from the repositories and moved into unstable or something?

As I wrote the purpoise of unstable is another. When a pkg is outadet it is up to the mantainer to update it, old package version simply disappear.

One more thing... in ABS, why is xfce4 in the root /var/abs directory? Shouldn't it be in x11 or extra? (once again, extra causes confusion for me)

xfce is considere a special cathegory, several apckage that all togheter  (or part of them) give you a working "system", as well as kde and gnome.
if you go unde xfce dir there are severeal other ir each with a name of one of the xfce package.
In abs root you find the current cathegory, in extra (name of the repository) dir you find the dir name of each cathegory in extra.
Do not confuse cathegory name (x11, xfce, kde, gnome etc. etc.) with package name (kde-lib, gnome-lib, kde-base, kde-pim)

Board footer