You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-13 16:19:52

djidji

basic intro/help with KDE

i tried using fvwm but it seems that it has a lot of configuration associated with it and all i needed was a quick start so i installed kde that i have been using for long time with fedora. but... unlike with fedora that includes all these apps, menues, etc. when kde is installed right now i cannot even launch a new shell from within kde - nor can i configure desktop, control panel, control center, etc. can someone point me in the right direction on how to be able to use control center and at least launch the shell? thanks in advance.

#2 2007-03-13 17:12:11

pelle.k

Re: basic intro/help with KDE

Have you read the wiki / beginners guide?

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#3 2007-03-13 17:25:57

djidji

i looked through wiki and read all i could find on KDE but there was nothing regarding my problem. anyway, i re-installed kde together with all of the add-ons (just like i did the first time) and now everything is there: menu, editors, apps, etc. i am not sure what was wrong at first.

#4 2007-03-13 22:33:51

chaosgeisterchen

If you are switching to ArchLinux and want to install KDE, you found a very good distribution to fit your needs, as ArchLinux comes with one of the best maintained KDE branches out there, I assume. KDEmod is a modular KDE release, which underwent some patching and people are really keen on improving it day by day (the maintainers, dunkelstern and especially funkyou seem to blazing with motivation towards steadily improving it). So, if you want to use KDE under ArchLinux, you will probably get the best results, using it.

Look here for further information and an introduction as well as an howto for installing it.

Have fun with KDEmod!

P.S.: If you encounter any problems with it, I would like to encourage you to stick to the official KDEmod thread for reporting in order to keep it centralized and create a good overview of which issues people keep on having.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#5 2007-03-13 23:33:25

djidji

thanks for the response - i'll do as you suggested

#6 2007-03-14 02:26:56

Snarkout

Though I'm still running the stock KDE on my main workstation (a little shy of breakage on this box), I have been tinkering with kdemod on my testing box and am mighty impressed.  It has all the patches I like as well as some other very interesting ones.  It also seems a lot faster than my stock build - this could be entirely subjective, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#7 2007-03-14 03:35:20

Zer0

Been using kdemod now here for a little over a week and I love it.  Very flexible in terms of apps in smaller packages.

#8 2007-03-14 08:03:33

chaosgeisterchen

Snarkout wrote:

It also seems a lot faster than my stock build - this could be entirely subjective, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I can also say that it seemed quite a bit faster than the stock KDE. Just another reason to change.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

Board footer