You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-19 03:33:56

jftaylor21

Logitech USB Mouse

I just installed Arch today and I set up X. The only problem is that X will load up, and I see a cursor on the screen, the only problem is when I move the mouse the pointer does not move. I use a Logitech USB Mouse. I am using the /dev/input/mice and IMPS/2. Please help.

#2 2004-04-19 04:03:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Logitech USB Mouse

What does

dmesg | grep input

give you?

Post the Mouse section of your XFree86Config so we can have a look.

Kernel 2.6 works best if you set the protocol to ExplorerPS/2. I just found that out. smile

Good luck,

Dusty

#3 2004-04-19 12:47:28

mcubednyc

I also have a Logitech USB (Optical) Mouse and it works fine, with one problem.  Here's the relevant section of my /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

So I'm not doing what Dusty suggests, but I should try it I guess.  The one problem I have is that my mouse freezes when I try to use Ctrl+click to select  non-continuous items.  This has happened in three different apps -- an OO.org spreadsheet, xmms, and emelfm.  Everything else works as normal, the apps in question are still responsive, the keyboard is fine, but my mouse is dead.  The only way I've found to get it back is to kill X and restart.

Some people on USENET suggested it might have to do with gpm.

BTW, the output of dmesg | grep input for me is:

input: PC Speaker
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2

Just in case that helps for comparison.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#4 2004-04-19 20:19:09

skoal
Website

mcubednyc wrote:

I also have a Logitech USB (Optical) Mouse and it works fine, with one problem...

Some people on USENET suggested it might have to do with gpm...

I have a Logitech Optical USB as well.  Everything works great, including the selection of non-continuous items in XMMS, etc.

My `/etc/X11/XF86Config' is as such:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

* I do not use "gpm", and my mouse is connected to the slower USB 1.x port (although my motherboard has the newer 2.0 protocol ports).  So, I would presume your problem could be related to "gpm", as you mentioned.  By the way, my "dmesg" output shows the same as yours.

What's the benefit of using "gpm"?  Is it primarily used for mouse copy/paste functions while in "runlevel" 3 at a console?  All my "paste" functions work great in every application in Gnome, including a terminal.

#5 2004-04-19 23:23:30

jftaylor21

Hey,
I did the dmesg | grep input and this is what it gives me:

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
input: PC Speaker
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

Also, here is my XF86Config

Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************
Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver    Identifier    "Mouse1"
Driver    "mouse"
Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
Option "Device"      "/dev/usbmouse"
# Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.
#    Option "Resolution"    "256"
# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.
#    Option "Protocol"    "Xqueue"
# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.
#    Option "BaudRate"    "9600"
#    Option "SampleRate"    "150"
# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"
# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
#    Option "ChordMiddle"
EndSection
# **********************************************************************

Thanks for any help you can help me.

#6 2004-04-20 02:46:36

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

This is pretty much out of my league. It looks like maybe your mouse isn't being recognized by the kernel. What version of the kernel are you using, and did you compile it yourself?

I think if the mouse was being recognized, dmesg would have a line like this:

input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:11.2-1

try

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

and see if its listed.  Mine has a section like this (most of which I don't understand, besides "Logitech" and "mouse" smile):

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c501 Version=0910
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:11.2-1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0
B: EV=2000f
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: ABS=100 0
B: LED=fc00

If its not listed, then I think you can be sure that the mouse isn't being recognized by the kernel. The first thing to do is to ensure that it is plugged into the USB outlet.  Beyond that, it depends on your kernel configuration. All I can say is that mine worked out of the box under USB with kernel 2.6.5. Other people might have more to say.

Do you have a PS/2 adapter for the mouse? You might try that, just to see what happens.

Sorry to not be more help,

Dusty

#7 2004-04-21 00:40:05

skoal
Website

jftaylor21 wrote:

Hey,
I did the dmesg | grep input and this is what it gives me...
Thanks for any help you can help me.

It looks like you don't have an "indentifier" for your mouse in your `/etc/X11/XF86Config' file.  Namely, these 2 sections are important in that file:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

and

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

* Notice the "Mouse0" instance under both the "Server Layout" and "InputDevice" sections.

I believe I saw from your last post that you had:

# Identifier and driver    Identifier   "Mouse1"

From what you give above (and reshown here), your "Identifier" string is commented out (since it is on the same line as the "#" character).

1. Just make the changes in your config file similiar to my two code sections above, making sure you don't have those lines commented out. 

OR (For a fresh config file to use for testing)

2. From the console, in runlevel 3, type:

XFree86 -configure

* That will create a default config file in the current working path.

Save your current config file with:

mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.original

Move your new config file into that path:

mv <new Config> /etc/X11/XF86Config

Now, try `startx' and see if your pointer moves.  You more than likely will get a fatal X server error, saying that no core mouse pointer was found.  In that case, make the changes in your new config file `/etc/X11/XF86Config' to my entries listed above in this post.

Your mouse pointer should work after that.  Then, you can go back and add the appropriate entries from your original Config file `/etc/X11/XF86Config.original' back into the current working one.

#8 2004-04-21 16:44:30

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Oh, did anybody mention yet that you will find out more about the nature of the error if you run

grep 'EE' /var/log/XFree86.0.log

That log contains a wee bit more info than console output, plus it doesn't all fly off the screen.

Dusty

#9 2004-04-22 16:07:03

rjs

i have the same mouse, and you need to set it to the following for it to work:

/dev/input/mice

All the other settings can remain the same but that line needs to be changed for it to work properly.

What modules are you loading for USB, and did you install libusb as well

#10 2004-04-22 20:07:44

mcubednyc

skoal wrote:

What's the benefit of using "gpm"?  Is it primarily used for mouse copy/paste functions while in "runlevel" 3 at a console?  All my "paste" functions work great in every application in Gnome, including a terminal.

Well, ignorant newb that I am, I had thought that gpm was necessary in order to be able to paste data to or from an xterm ... for example, to paste part of a config file opened in an xterm with vi into Mozilla.  But after some suggestions about gpm possibly being the source of my problem, I read the man page and near as I can figure out it is mainly useful for pasting data between virtual consoles.  The man page also notes:

The gpm server may have problems interacting with X: if your mouse is a
single-open device (i.e. a bus  mouse),  you  should  kill  gpm  before
starting  X, or use the -R option (see above).  To kill gpm just invoke
gpm -k. This problem doesn't apply to serial mice.

So that sure sounds like gpm could be causing my problem (though the term "single-open device" is new to me).  I also checked /etc/conf.d/gpm and found this, which looks wrong to me, but I've no idea if it is wrong, or what it should be:

# Parameters to be passed to gpm
#
GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/misc/psaux"

So I'm a little lost here.

rjs wrote:

i have the same mouse, and you need to set it to the following for it to work:

/dev/input/mice

/dev/usbmouse is a symlink to /dev/input/mice.  So why would it matter which line you have in your config, since they both point to the same thing?

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#11 2004-04-22 20:49:35

rjs

change this:

GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/misc/psaux"

to this:

GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/usbmouse -t imps2"

and it should work. the 'imps2' tells gpm that it is a wheel mouse and will allow for the mouse to work properly in konsole (no X) environment, as well as hopefully controlling the way that it works in X, since I run gpm and X at the same time.

just my 2 cents worth, may or may not work.

#12 2004-04-22 22:18:13

skoal
Website

mcubednyc wrote:
skoal wrote:

Well, ignorant newb that I am, I had thought that gpm was necessary in order to be able to paste data to or from an xterm...

I stopped using "gpm" some years back.  I only used it for "vc" copy/paste functions anyway, which is why I asked why people using DE's (like KDE/Gnome) would want to use it, since you can copy/paste (at nauseam) from any program to another in any X session (without using "gpm").  Now, for "vc" only operations, I either "redirect" my output to a file, extract what I want and save to another file, then redirect to bash prompt.  Tedious, but no headaches, and I rarely spend time in "runlevel 3" anyway.  If there are any other benefits outside of that, let me know.  It may be worth using again.

mcubednyc wrote:

/dev/usbmouse is a symlink to /dev/input/mice.  So why would it matter which line you have in your config, since they both point to the same thing?

It doesn't make a difference.

#13 2004-04-23 00:39:07

rjs

well the idea of using gpm is that whenever I compile software of any kind I always go to runlevel 3, just a habit I guess, more resources and less headaches, must be the teach an old dog new tricks problem I guess.

I found that if I set a symlink with /dev/usbmouse to /dev/input/mice, that it sometimes acted weird in console (runlevel 3) and when X started, but not all the time, and replacing the symlink to a direct location resolved the issue and it also solved a lot of the problems that may occur with GPM and X running at the same time.

just my 2 cents worth

#14 2004-04-23 18:11:56

skoal
Website

rjs wrote:

I found that if I set a symlink with /dev/usbmouse to /dev/input/mice, that it sometimes acted weird in console (runlevel 3) and when X started, but not all the time, and replacing the symlink to a direct location resolved the issue...

That's a valid point indeed!  My experiences with symlink weirdness are the following:

1. "sym-sym-links".   One symlink using another symlink.

EX.:

/usr/bin/foo.bar -> /usr/local/share/fooey/foo.bar
where, "fooey" is a symlink itself, as in
/usr/local/share/fooey -> /usr/local/share/fooey-1.2.5

2. Sym-linking the `/dev' directory manually.  In other words, not using `devfsd.conf' definitions to make them, but doing them yourself.

I have not had such problems with the `/dev/usbmouse' symlink myself.  However, there are a few rare experiences, namely Java browser plugins, where the symlink funk has reared it's head.  And that funk is not associated with the symlink itself, but rather, how the program interprets them.

#15 2004-04-24 19:29:28

mcubednyc

rjs wrote:

the 'imps2' tells gpm that it is a wheel mouse and will allow for the mouse to work properly in konsole (no X) environment, as well as hopefully controlling the way that it works in X, since I run gpm and X at the same time.

Thx, I'll try that and see if the problem persists.  If it does, I'll probably just disable gpm altogether since I don't think I particularly need it.

Board footer