You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-16 20:03:34

Jirka

Error 23: Error while parsing number (solved)

Hi,

I have an old notebook which has no cd-rom. So I have joined the notebook's disc via USB to my computer and I'm trying to install the system from CD-ROM on my PC.
But may be I have a mess in hda, hdb, sdb etc.

When I have installed the system already three times, I get the error while Archlinux is booting:

Error 23: Error while parsing number

What I have done wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited by Jirka (2007-03-17 20:04:37)

Linux is like a teepee. No Windows, no Gates, Apache inside!!!

#2 2007-03-16 20:06:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Error 23: Error while parsing number (solved)

Looks like a boot loader error, can you post the contents of your boot loader (grub or lilo) config?

#3 2007-03-16 20:23:57

Jirka

phrakture wrote:

Looks like a boot loader error, can you post the contents of your boot loader (grub or lilo) config?

ok, which file? I have found these:

grub-terminfo
grub-set-default
grub-md5-crypt
grub-install
grub

#4 2007-03-16 21:13:28

Jirka

phrakture wrote:

I have now readed documentation and there is written, that naming schema of GRUB is different of UNIX naming. That means, that discs are hd0, hd1, etc.

Conversion table is:

/dev/fd0   (fd0)
/dev/hda   (hd0)
/dev/hdb2  (hd1,1)
/dev/hda3  (hd0,2)

But what if the disc on which I install the system is connected via USB?

Last edited by Jirka (2007-03-16 23:02:28)

#5 2007-03-16 23:01:49

fishonadish

USB disks will be /dev/sda etc to Linux (and therefore may be separate from internal drives that are labelled hda etc), but Grub counts them all as hd0,hd1 etc.

Grub will see the drives in the order the BIOS boots them, I think. 
In my case I have Grub on the MBR of my external USB hd and BIOS set to boot first the external drive, then the internal HD.  That means the USB drive is hd0 and the internal HD is hd1 as far as grub is concerned.
Alternatively, if Grub were on the MBR of my internal drive and BIOS set to boot that first, then the USB drive would be hd1, and the internal hd0.

Also, if you're booting from USB you'll need to have the USB hook in your mkinitcpio.
I also need to use 'rootdelay=[number]' (8 in my case) so that it'll wait for my USB device to appear before trying to mount the root partition from it - I don't know if this is always needed or if my USB HD is particularly slow, but bear it in mind if you get a kernel panic because the root device can't be found.

#6 2007-03-17 07:36:43

Jirka

fishonadish wrote:

USB disks will be /dev/sda etc to Linux (and therefore may be separate from internal drives that are labelled hda etc), but Grub counts them all as hd0,hd1 etc.

Grub will see the drives in the order the BIOS boots them, I think. 
In my case I have Grub on the MBR of my external USB hd and BIOS set to boot first the external drive, then the internal HD.  That means the USB drive is hd0 and the internal HD is hd1 as far as grub is concerned.
Alternatively, if Grub were on the MBR of my internal drive and BIOS set to boot that first, then the USB drive would be hd1, and the internal hd0.

Also, if you're booting from USB you'll need to have the USB hook in your mkinitcpio.
I also need to use 'rootdelay=[number]' (8 in my case) so that it'll wait for my USB device to appear before trying to mount the root partition from it - I don't know if this is always needed or if my USB HD is particularly slow, but bear it in mind if you get a kernel panic because the root device can't be found.

Ok, thanks. And how GRUB counts partitions? I have it on disc via USB and partitions are:

1. partition - boot
2. partition - swap
3. partition - root and others....

So which number should I use? Because there is it in format (hd0,1), (hd2,0) etc.

And what depends 'rootdelay=[number]' (in your case 8)? Which number should I use?

Many thanks

#7 2007-03-17 09:23:15

fishonadish

Grub starts from 0, whereas linux devices name partitions from 1.

Thus /dev/hda1 = (hd0,0)

In your case it'll be (hd#,0) because your boot partition is the first partition.

The rootdelay thing might not be necessary - it's just in case your devices don't appear in time when you boot.  The number is the number of seconds to wait for the device, so you want it to be as low as possible.  So, 8 works for me, but any lower and I get a kernel panic because the USB device hasn't appeared yet.  I wouldn't worry about rootdelay until you have your grub entries sorted out and tested without it first, though.

More importantly, be sure you have the USB hook in your initcpio, because it definitely won't boot without it.

#8 2007-03-17 13:50:20

Jirka

I'm on the good way with your help!

Now I got Kernel panic, because root directory was not found, but I have at least been booted!

I have a two stupid questions, which could solve it (I really hope so!):

on which partition should I bootloader install? I know, I it's a stupid rookie question, but I have it install on my first partition where is the boot (I have it set up in the configuration of bootloader install). Is it right?

And the second question is: right before install it asks where to install and gives this possibilities:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

and my partitions are:

1. boot
2. swap
3. root and others

Thank you all

#9 2007-03-17 19:52:00

fishonadish

If you're getting as far as a kernel panic, then you're getting past the bootloader, so where ever you have it now is fine, if you're happy with it.

Can you post the contents of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file?  Might be able to see why you're getting a kernel panic.

Last edited by fishonadish (2007-03-17 20:00:19)

#10 2007-03-17 20:04:20

Jirka

fishonadish wrote:

If you're getting as far as a kernel panic, then you're getting past the bootloader, so where ever you have it now is fine, if you're happy with it.

Can you post the contents of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file?  Might be able to see why you're getting a kernel panic.

I have used the LILO instead the GRUB, so it's solved now.

But I thank you all.

Board footer