You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-04 06:30:12

Spadearcher

More on Kernel Panic

This query is related to, and in follow-up of, the earlier thread entitled "kernel panic after pacman upgrade [solved]."  I had appended this query in general terms to that thread, but because that thread has been labeled [solved] I am assuming that there might be no further reference to it, and my added query might go unnoticed.

I today installed Arch for the first time (actually multiple times trying to get it to boot), and in fact joined this forum also today.  I have had some experience installing distros, as I am currently multiple-booting (with grub) Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware and FreeBSD.  My installation of Arch was begun with the iso cd, but then essentially completed by frs (through which I effected a download of packages and the latest kernel -- 2.6.20.1).  This download installed in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file an initrd designation of /boot/initrd26.img, but my updated grub boot master file couldn't find it to effect a viable booting.  Searching in this forum for assistance, I noticed other Arch users who have encountered a problem similar to mine (including those contributing to the above cited earlier thread), most of whom recommended substituting an initrd command of /boot/kernel26.img, which I did (including later on adding further recommended additions to the kernel command line in the menu.lst file involving rootfstype and earlymodules). 

Trying to boot again with this changed initrd command designation, I got a partially successful booting, but which then abruptly terminated with a kernel panic message.  The last four lines of the error message were as follows:

IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit:  Cannot open root device sda (8,7)
kinit: init not found!
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

As I have previously been able to effect a functioning central grub boot file on my first (sda1) partition for my other distros (two of which are not designed to initially boot from grub), I believe I have some useful previous experience in this regard.  But I am quite stumped with what my problem is here.  I've installed the most current stable kernel, and followed the fairly clear-cut Arch installment procedures.  Then, also, I have made modifications in accord with other advice in this forum. 

Does anyone else possibly have some useful guidance for me?  Many thanks.

#2 2007-03-04 16:00:11

Spadearcher

Re: More on Kernel Panic

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I downloaded the beta iso to cd and installed that and it worked.

#3 2007-03-17 16:20:54

Jirka

Spadearcher wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I downloaded the beta iso to cd and installed that and it worked.

From where please? I have the same problem!

Linux is like a teepee. No Windows, no Gates, Apache inside!!!

#4 2007-03-17 16:54:11

Spadearcher

Check out this thread, which is more recent than the thread I contributed to.  If it doesn't work for you (which is unlikely) then come back to me and I'll share further with you what I did.  Good luck.  Jim

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=30555

Board footer