You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-23 06:45:56

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

A short list of top Linux distros, by category

A short list of top Linux distros, by category
Ladislav Bodnar, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com distributions advisor & DistroWatch.com founder

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget … 26,00.html

Markku

#2 2004-04-23 06:52:17

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: A short list of top Linux distros, by category

Gentoo High Maintenance Distro  lol

Mr Green

Mr Green

#3 2004-04-23 19:09:22

aCoder
Website

Hey! Wheres' Arch?  I don't think they gave Slackware the credit it deserves either.  Both could be in every category, except maybe 'enterprise desktop', but only because the people approving coporate IT moves are a bunch of tightwads.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#4 2004-04-23 20:55:53

colnago

I love the gentoo description, esp. since our incompetent SA just installed it in one of our servers.  Our uptime was already below 80%.  I will have to point out the article to everyone.

#5 2004-05-03 01:45:03

kleptophobiac

I detest gentoo.

I used it for a while, and I will admit that emerge is the coolest thing since the keyboard.... however, the thing sucks ass on finding people who are familiar with it. Installing it takes so long I have time to eat, shower 'n shave, lounge, eat again, sleep a bit, etc etc etc. before it is done. It is also the most finicky POS I've ever had to deal with.

My two personal favorites thus far are arch and slack. Clean, fast, no-nonsense distros that get the job done. I will also admit that I have done better on uptime with slack than arch, but I'm blaming that on a few weeks of arch experience and about two years of slackware experience.

smile

I'm surprised that OpenBSD didn't get a mention for the "other" category. It has the coolest packet filtering ever, and makes a superb router.

Board footer