You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-21 04:32:29

loserveg

hplip

i have an hp psc 1350 and was reading different posts on the forum and found that AL is not LSB compliant...therefore the hplip driver will not work, right?

this is the output i get running hp-check:

Checking for dependency LSB - Linux Standard Base support...
error: Not found!
error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

im going to try to download the ppd file and try via cups, just curious if anyone had a workaround for this issue

#2 2007-02-21 05:19:27

gradgrind

Re: hplip

loserveg wrote:

i have an hp psc 1350 and was reading different posts on the forum and found that AL is not LSB compliant...therefore the hplip driver will not work, right?

this is the output i get running hp-check:

Checking for dependency LSB - Linux Standard Base support...
error: Not found!
error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

im going to try to download the ppd file and try via cups, just curious if anyone had a workaround for this issue

It certainly does work (I have a Deskjet 6540). Have you actually tried it or are you just guessing? When I run hp-check I get:

Detected distro (/etc/issue):
unknown 0.0

Detected distro (lsb_release):
error: lsb_release not found.

Currently installed HPLIP version...
HPLIP 1.7.1 currently installed in '/usr/share/hplip'.

but it works fine ('pacman -S hplip', and put 'hplip' in the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf before 'cups').

#3 2007-02-21 17:45:54

ravster
Website

Same for me, the hplip package works perfectly for my HP PSC 1610
Scanning works well through xsane, too.
Ravster

#4 2007-02-21 23:51:33

loserveg

i dont get it, thats exactly what i did, and it doesnt work for me

#5 2007-02-22 02:09:16

ravster
Website

Do you get any other error messages?

I googled your error message and came up with nothing. The PSC 1350 is, however, not mentioned at the HPLIP website, though it seems the drivers for 1200 and 1300 work with it.

The HPLIP site's system requirements page seems to say that the LSB compliancy is only required for installing the startup/shutdown script. But we already have our own script that we put in /etc/rc.d, so it would seems the message is simply an empty complaint.

It would help if there are other error messages we can look at. Another thing you could do is sign up to the hplip mailing list and find out what the error message is really talking about.
Ravster

#6 2007-03-12 04:44:46

loserveg

hi so i got really frustrated with arch because of hplip and nvidia and removed it.  i like arch so i came back to it (fresh install) nvidia issue is resolved but hplip is not.

i get the following errors:

hp-check

[the following two lines are repeated a ton of times above this]
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 220, in walkFiles
    for f in walkFiles(fullname, recurse, abs_paths, return_folders, pattern, path):
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 216, in walkFiles
    if os.path.islink(fullname):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py", line 162, in islink
    return stat.S_ISLNK(st.st_mode)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/stat.py", line 61, in S_ISLNK
    return S_IFMT(mode) == S_IFLNK
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded

hp-setup

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
error: Unable to connect to hpiod.
error: Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O. Please (re)start HPLIP and try again.

hp-toolbox

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
error: Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O (hpiod).

/etc/rc.d/hplip restart

:: Stopping hplip: hpiod ...                                             [DONE] 
:: Stopping hplip: hpssd...                                              [BUSY] 
/etc/rc.d/hplip: line 28: kill: (14138) - No such process
                                                                         [FAIL] 
:: Starting hplip: hpiod ...                                             [DONE] 
:: Starting hplip: hpssd ...                                             [DONE]

but for this the words are not shown unless you highlight the section

all i did was pacman -S hplip xsane so i dont know whats going on

#7 2007-03-12 06:39:40

gradgrind

Did it work after the restart?

#8 2007-03-12 19:35:09

ravster
Website

Hey,
  Have you had a look at this topic?
I don't think it is the exactly same error, but it might be related. Also, I read on that discussion that Arch Linux has python-2.4, and hplip is compiled against python-2.5.
  I might simply be a matter of compiling python yourself, or waiting for it to be updated by the Arch packager.

#9 2007-03-13 06:30:47

gradgrind

ravster wrote:

Hey,
  Have you had a look at this topic?
I don't think it is the exactly same error, but it might be related. Also, I read on that discussion that Arch Linux has python-2.4, and hplip is compiled against python-2.5.
  I might simply be a matter of compiling python yourself, or waiting for it to be updated by the Arch packager.

The current version (in extra) is compiled against python-2.4 and works fine here.

#10 2007-03-18 22:46:25

loserveg

so after fiddling with just about everything i could think of i realized that my problem was very simple.

for some reason i switched /etc/hosts so it was something other than localhost.localdomain, i switched it back and now hplip is working like a charm

btw i like the new hp-toolbox, it seems to serve a purpose now :-P

man i love arch! thanks to all

Board footer