You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-17 19:22:29

pelle.k

I hate kicker thread

Yes, its time for another one of those "I hate something" threads! smile
I hate KDE kicker. It's very functional, but _ugly_! To be fair, gnome-panel and xfce-panel aren't very pretty either, but at least they adapt to the current theme you're using...
Why do i hate kicker?

1. It doesn't adapt to the theme you're using.
2. there's no sain way of keeping it, and it's applets behave the same way using different panel sizes.
3. there's no sain way of keeping it, and it's applets work together when changing colors/looks.
3. KDE is known for it's configurability, but you can't tweak kicker into using padding nor margin of applets/itself.
4. No pretty spacers to choose from by default.
5. Two panels can't have different background color and a whole other bunch of individual settings.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#2 2007-03-17 20:34:32

klixon

Re: I hate kicker thread

Is there no KDE forum where you can drop this?
Maybe apply a patch to fix all that while your at it?

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2007-03-17 21:55:59

Stalwart
Website

In KDE4 kicker will be replaced with plasma

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#4 2007-03-17 23:30:27

Crooksey
Website

Stalwart wrote:

In KDE4 kicker will be replaced with plasma

I cant wait for that, the KDE panel is the only reason I dont use kde 100% of the time.

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#5 2007-03-18 14:09:16

Damnshock

If you dislike the kde kicker then don't use it. Use gnome-panel or whatever you like the most.

Damnshock

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#6 2007-03-18 14:30:03

pelle.k

Whats with dat "don't freakin use it then" attitude everywhere? Obviously i use kde, _and_ kicker kicker because i prefer them. That doesn't mean i think they are 100% perfect.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss and see if other people feel the same, and maybe figure out how to solve some of the problems with kicker.
[edit]removed my last statement. it was a bit harsh... smile [/edit]

Last edited by pelle.k (2007-03-18 15:39:12)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#7 2007-03-19 06:15:44

chaosgeisterchen

I also do not like Kicker 100%, but it's a very decent panel application with a lot of customizing available. It could be improved, though. I miss spacers and the option to set it semi-transparent - with the background graphic still activated (just like in Vista, whose style I like, as already mentioned elsewhere). But I'll wait patiently for KDE4 before arguing about features not implemented.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#8 2007-03-19 15:57:43

con
Website

Well...I use KDE on both my laptop and desktop, and cant say I ever had any problems with the kicker. For themeing i create my own tiles that match the current wallpaper or whatever. What is kind of annoying about it is that you cant change the color of fonts on it and it would be nice if you could have diffrent images for the edges of kicker like if you want to have rounded corners for example.

Just my 0.02€

charlie dont surf!

#9 2007-03-19 17:38:45

Snarkout

FWIW, Aarog Seigo has written several posts on his blog and various other places lambasing kicker himself, and IIRC he maintains it to a degree.  So, yeah, it has problems.  Hopefully KDE4 improves upon it.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

Board footer