You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-23 13:34:29

linfan

distros

Best Linux (1999 - never got it working, but installed it many times :-)

SuSE Linux (1999-2002?) Recommended by a friend - very expensive distro, cost me a fortune to keep at pace.

2002-2003 Debian, mostly unstable. It was the first ftp install distro. I had got broadband at that time, so it seemed the correct way.

2003-- Gentoo. Still use it on the other box. Nice, but time consuming. Starting to dislike it a bit, though, but am not ready yet to forsake it.

2003-2004 Slackware-current. The distro that tought me the most of Linux.

2004-- Arch Linux. Have only been running it a week. I love it thus far, especially as it offers the 2.6 kernel.  But make PKBUILD for kernels isn't that nice, as it doesn't include the possibility of inserting 'make mrproper' into the build.
   I'd also prefer the Slackware way of being adviced to immediatly build your own kernel after install. Well, I built it manually.

I have also tried Mandrake, and Red Hat, only to find out that I do not like them al all. I deleted them shotly after install.

Once I had OpenBSD up and running, but I didn't have the patience to learn unix, as it differs a bit from linux, which sits in the bone marrow.

I think that was all.

linfan

#2 2004-04-23 14:11:05

ganlu

Re: distros

But make PKBUILD for kernels isn't that nice, as it doesn't include the possibility of inserting 'make mrproper' into the build.

Add the line in the PKGBUILD, and compile your own kernel if you like. That's out of the question.

Board footer