You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-17 18:02:17

penguinstarship

File Manager selection

Not to say Nautilus is bad or anything of the sort, but what are some other file managers out there you guys would recommend? I like simplicity, but I want it to look great and not too basic. Basically I'm just asking you guys to rant about your file managers and urge me to check them out so I can see what all is out there, and what would work best for me. I'm using Gnome BTW. wink

#2 2007-03-17 18:06:20

SiD

Re: File Manager selection

I use Thunar.
It's the standard File Manager of xfce...

#3 2007-03-17 18:11:09

penguinstarship

quick reply! I'm gonna check it out now big_smile

#4 2007-03-17 18:14:00

baze

i like thunar better than nautilus. nautilus looks almost the same as thunar (yes, this way round! nautilus copied thunar's style, but nautilus was simply released earlier with this interface wink) but thunar is faster and lighter than nautilus. and it also has the compact list view and rubber banding in detailed list view, which nautilus doesn't have.
but there are some things concerining integration where nautilus is better, like when you have seahorse installed, you get "encrypt" as an option in the context menu for files automatically (keyword desktop integration), but you can easily create such things as "custom actions" in thunar aswell.

#5 2007-03-17 18:16:19

cyprinus

Because i'm used to KDE - recommend - Dolphin

#6 2007-03-17 18:18:32

magnum_opus

rox user here.
it's not fantastic, no cut operation, no real way to make it away of gnome-application-database (or whatever it is that allows to thunar and nautilaus to know what apps to set as default action).

But once you get used to it and/or if it fits your work habits it's very pleasant.

things about rox:
good command line integration, "!" opens a command line at the bottom, "`" opens a full terminal.
drag and drop means a couple things: it encourages the use of lot's of open windows, but it's pretty good about being compact enough to allow that.

it works best if you're the kind of person that lives in your file browser, lots of apps lying around that aren't actually installed or on your $PATH

#7 2007-03-17 18:20:35

psyBSD

penguinstarship wrote:

I'm using Gnome BTW. wink

Well, nobody is perfect. roll

When you like Thunar you might want to consider trying out entire Xfce.

You wouldn't be the first to stick with it.

#8 2007-03-17 18:48:12

penguinstarship

psyBSD wrote:
penguinstarship wrote:

Gnome is where I began with Linux, back in Fedora starting with Gnome, and I associate so much with it, I think I can make the move but I'm not so sure yet, I'm sure I could be convinced to though.

#9 2007-03-17 18:49:01

penguinstarship

magnum_opus wrote:

rox user here.
it's not fantastic, no cut operation, no real way to make it away of gnome-application-database (or whatever it is that allows to thunar and nautilaus to know what apps to set as default action).

But once you get used to it and/or if it fits your work habits it's very pleasant.

things about rox:
good command line integration, "!" opens a command line at the bottom, "`" opens a full terminal.
drag and drop means a couple things: it encourages the use of lot's of open windows, but it's pretty good about being compact enough to allow that.

it works best if you're the kind of person that lives in your file browser, lots of apps lying around that aren't actually installed or on your $PATH

I've used Rox before, and I didn't like it too much at all. Been awhile though so I might fire it up again

#10 2007-03-17 19:17:57

Stalwart
Website

WIMPy: Rox, Thunar, Dolphin
Orthodox: mc, Krusader

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#11 2007-03-17 21:43:00

magnum_opus

penguinstarship wrote:

I've used Rox before, and I didn't like it too much at all. Been awhile though so I might fire it up again

eh. it hasn't changed much in a while.
It didn't click with me for quite a while, how it ended up happening was that i installed it on a laptop that was to be passed around students in a small class with a bunch of useful astronomy related apps (sky, ds9, gildas, iraf)  so they could do data reduction at home if they wanted. i installed rox because it was small, this was before thunar and pcmanfm really were usable, and after xfe was broken due to an updated fox toolkit. so i chose rox, which was okay because there weren't many apps that i needed to actually associate files with. I just got used to it is all.
now a days i use it because I've adapeted my file management strategy to rox.

#12 2007-03-17 21:59:43

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I usually use endeavour or konqueror. xfe is working now and could interest you.

#13 2007-03-18 08:46:27

Cotton

Konqueror is very powerful and can transparently access online file storage using webdav (ie davfs2).

#14 2007-03-18 09:03:31

Master One

Cotton wrote:

Konqueror is very powerful and can transparently access online file storage using webdav (ie davfs2).

You can achieve the same by using a filemanager like Thunar together with fuse modules, like I did with fusesmb (works much better than kioslaves, because it even allows playing videos over the network without copying to the local machine first). In my opinion, the KDE kioslaves are pretty much broken, so fuse is the better option for me, which renders the advantage of konqueror with kioslaves pretty much useless. I am still using konqueror (with the baghira sidebar) ATM, but I am tempted to swap over to Thunar, because the baghira sidebar for konqueror is not fully functional (means the favorites placed in the lower part of the sidebar are not really files/folders, and therefor can not be used for drag&drop), and I very much like that filemanager layout. Didn't try Dolphin so far, although some other guys are very pleased with it.

#15 2007-03-18 09:08:25

psyBSD

penguinstarship wrote:
psyBSD wrote:
penguinstarship wrote:

Gnome is where I began with Linux, back in Fedora starting with Gnome, and I associate so much with it, I think I can make the move but I'm not so sure yet, I'm sure I could be convinced to though.

You might want to take a look here:

http://www.xfce.org/about/tour

#16 2007-03-18 15:05:57

Stalwart
Website

Master One wrote:
Cotton wrote:

You can achieve the same by using a filemanager like Thunar together with fuse modules, like I did with fusesmb (works much better than kioslaves, because it even allows playing videos over the network without copying to the local machine first). In my opinion, the KDE kioslaves are pretty much broken, so fuse is the better option for me, which renders the advantage of konqueror with kioslaves pretty much useless. I am still using konqueror (with the baghira sidebar) ATM, but I am tempted to swap over to Thunar, because the baghira sidebar for konqueror is not fully functional (means the favorites placed in the lower part of the sidebar are not really files/folders, and therefor can not be used for drag&drop), and I very much like that filemanager layout. Didn't try Dolphin so far, although some other guys are very pleased with it.

Baghira sidebar is kludge. Check dolphin

#17 2007-03-18 16:43:57

Master One

Stalwart, do you mean the KDE3 version of dolphin (v0.8.2), or the KDE4 version? Someone stated, that the KDE3 version is not to be considered seriously, because it's unmaintained, and does not have the intended features, which it will have in the KDE4 version. As seen from the screenshots thread, you are using the KDE4 version.

#18 2007-03-18 16:55:21

gunnix
Website

I use emelfm (not 2)... Like it more then any filemanager I tried.
2 pane view is a must for me. Emelfm is also very configurable (all buttons, etc). Just install a nice gtk theme to make it look good. (standard gtk sucks ofcourse)

mc is also very nice though, definately with the integrated ftp smile (and you gotta start it transparent: "mc -b")

As is true for most people I know, I've always loved learning. As is also true for most people I know, I always hated school. Why is that?

#19 2007-03-18 17:15:38

risky

thunar xfce4.4 is good!

#20 2007-03-18 19:19:40

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

aterm

Mr Green

#21 2007-03-18 20:56:15

Stalwart
Website

Master One wrote:

Stalwart, do you mean the KDE3 version of dolphin (v0.8.2), or the KDE4 version? Someone stated, that the KDE3 version is not to be considered seriously, because it's unmaintained, and does not have the intended features, which it will have in the KDE4 version. As seen from the screenshots thread, you are using the KDE4 version.

kde3 dolphin is usable. kde4 dolphin isn't. It doesn't even launch (from yesterday's svn)

#22 2007-03-19 01:47:50

Phrodo_00
Website

thunar is nice, I'd use it over nautilus, however I cannot get out of gnome because of the deskbar and evolution-data-server integrated clock (I don't even use evolution for the calendar, I just sync it with google calendar, and that way I have a test reminder right in my desk). I've been unsuccesfully trying to make gnome work with it though.

Last edited by Phrodo_00 (2007-03-19 01:48:15)

#23 2007-03-19 06:14:44

psyBSD

Phrodo_00 wrote:

thunar is nice, I'd use it over nautilus, however I cannot get out of gnome because of the deskbar and evolution-data-server integrated clock (I don't even use evolution for the calendar, I just sync it with google calendar, and that way I have a test reminder right in my desk). I've been unsuccesfully trying to make gnome work with it though.

The deskbar panel applet can be easily added to the xfce panel by using the xfapplet panel plugin.

#24 2007-03-19 08:09:31

Honken

I use pcmanfm myself, its not great or anything, but its definelitely lightwheight and fast. It has some neat functions like tabs and to open the terminal in the working dir.

#25 2007-03-19 19:01:37

icrave

I use pcmanfm, too. Its fast and simple, and i like the features that includes, but my version crashes sometimes. This is the only negative point.

Board footer