You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-20 23:51:48

joflow

Problem booting after update

actually, I'm not sure this has much to do with doing a pacman -Syu but I'm mentioning it just to be safe.  I did an update....there were numerous problems with packages not downloading...eventually I got all the packages downloaded except XGL from the 3rd party repo.  Commented out repo in pacman.conf and everything installed without error.

So I go to reboot (runlevel 5) and it hangs.  I try again with runlevel 3 and its the same problem but this time I get an INIT error:

INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

I can login root from runlevel 1.  I noticed after the update that all of the rc config files have new versions created by pacman? (i.e. rc.conf.pacnew)  The rc.conf.pacnew is identical to rc.conf except it doesn't load fam and alsa.  I tried booting with the pacnew rc.conf and its the same problem except I get the above INIT error after crond loads rather then after fam loads.  I'm guessing its a problem with my INIT scripts...maybe I accidentally altered one as root? sad...if so lessoned learned!!  I've also been playing around with udev (trying to make a rule for my USB external HD).  Can anyone please help?

Last edited by joflow (2007-03-20 23:54:09)

#2 2007-03-21 00:00:25

joflow

Re: Problem booting after update

problem seems to have been with that udev rule.  Took it out and now it boots.  Well, since the udev rule in the wiki hangs my PC does anyone have any pointers?

Board footer