You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-13 01:18:11

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Looking for aurbuild developers

Hey guys,
  Aurbuild is becoming a bit too much for me to develop anymore. I've become very busy lately and the truth is I don't use this distribution anymore. I'm barely able to stay on top of bug fixes and things like feature requests and extensive testing has become unfeasable.
So, I'm looking for a few people to join the development team and get some of the pending feature requests implemented; most of which are listed on the aurbuild thread and aur. Ultimately, I would like to break away from the project once I'm comfortable with the current group of developers.
If anyone is interest and have some experience with python shoot me a email and we'll go from there.

Thanks,
    Tyler

#2 2007-03-19 03:15:34

amdviaman
Website

Re: Looking for aurbuild developers

Is there a todo list anywhere? I'd love to help out Aurbuild as I use it very often, and know a bit (but am still learning) Python.

Desktop: Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 + AMD64 4000+ 2.4GHz, 1MB L2 + 1GB DDR400 + 80GB PATA 500GB SATA + Nvidia 7600GT, 256MB GDDR3
Notebook: HP Pavilion DV6-1245DX + Intel Core 2 Duo T6500, 2.10GHz, 2MB L2 + 4GB DDR2 + 320GB SATA + Intel 4500MHD, 17" Widescreen + Lightscribe DVD+RW

#3 2007-03-19 03:50:30

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Hope you find the developers you need, Tyler. Thanks so much for taking the project on so long ago. I never dreamed the script I posted to the wiki would be formed into such an amazing project. Nice work. thx and lol. You've done a great job.

Too bad about Gentoo though. ;-)

Dusty

#4 2007-03-19 08:54:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Tyler, honestly, absolutely no flammage implied or intended whatsoever: why the switch?  You can email me if you prefer but I am genuinely interested smile

I'd happily offer to help but my python skills are right up there with lua and Cobol...

#5 2007-03-19 13:59:50

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

amdviaman: I'll write up a todo list and post it here later. If you like, you can (or anyone else interested) tackle one of them and submit me a patch. If all goes well, we'll take it things the next level.
Thanks to your interest!

dibble: I went to gentoo because it was my last resort. I bought a 64bit laptop and Arch would not run on it. My second choice was Frugal but the installer crapped out on me so that was a no go as well. My brother has been trying to get me to try gentoo for some time so I figured I'd give it a shot.
I have to say at first I didn't like it too much. The over complexity, mindless portage directory structure and out of date packages pissed me off at first. Over time I learned the complexity and realized it was for the better. The out of date packages aren't too out of date but more importantly better tested and more stable which is important to me. If I really want something up to date I can just unmask it.
Probably one of the best things about gentoo I like so much is the kernel. There is no initrd/cpio crap. I have complete control over what I want and don't want and gentoo makes it easy to maintain it that way at the same time. Some may say "just enable everything, shit I doesn't matter". No, it does matter. More crap I don't need in the core of my system means more potential bugs and overhead to worry about. Furthermore, this is the philosophy of gentoo's entire system. Having things like use flags tailored to each package, a package slot system, and machine profiles are very nice.
The documentation and wiki's are superb. Its nice to know if I ever have difficulty or need help in setting something up I have an excellent source to turn to.

Overall I feel gentoo is a well thought and well polished distro that fits ME well. But I enjoy the Arch community so you won't see me leave forever smile

BTW: If this turns into a flamewar, I'll be deleting those offending posts. Please stay on topic.

#6 2007-03-19 18:54:53

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Awesome, thanks smile

#7 2007-03-21 03:31:49

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

All right, sorry for the delay. Here's something to get started with:

1) Fix dependencies pulled in from aurbuild to be recognized as dependencies for the target package not as explicity installed. pacman -S --noconfirm -> pacman -D ?

2) Add a switch to view user comments.

3) Add a switch to take pacman arguments.

4) Optional: parse for makepkg v3 and v2 and write to /tmp/aurbuild somewhere. For v2 -w can be used, v3 an environment variable of PKGDEST= must be passed instead. I stayed away from this because of my limited time and potentialy unrealible (and ugly) parsing that would be involved. If it can be done reliably, it should be. Currently it relies on PKGDEST in makepkg.conf to be write and execute to aurbuild user or group.

5) Optional: Use the libalpm hooks in pacman3 for python. Only because it would be faster and easier to maintain than my manual flat file parsing module (pacman.py). I didn't do this because I couldn't make sense of any of it. pacman.py seems very stable though and should work fine with pacman3...

NOTES:
    DO NOT try to change the behavior of fetching from parsing the web pages to going directly to the ftp site. There are many stale and potentialy harmful PKGBUILD's there and the AUR system works through the web interface which can mean inconsistancy problems especially with --upgrade. I've tried this once before and ran into several problems.
    Be carefull when playing around in version.py. It took me a long time to get it to work correctly and any screw up can mean upgrading problems. It shouldn't need any maintainance anyways.
    The main script is a bit messy and could benefit from a major code refactoring. It would probably be in the next developer's interest to do so anyways.
    Some advice: stay away from trying to make this a drop in replacement for pacman/makepkg/srcpac/etc. It could be a bear to maintain and at the same time violate arch's KISS philosophy. Its better to do one thing good than to do alot half-assed (think Linux philosophy).

Feel free to email me with any questions.

#8 2007-03-23 08:15:23

amdviaman
Website

I'll see what I can do. Thanks smile

Desktop: Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 + AMD64 4000+ 2.4GHz, 1MB L2 + 1GB DDR400 + 80GB PATA 500GB SATA + Nvidia 7600GT, 256MB GDDR3
Notebook: HP Pavilion DV6-1245DX + Intel Core 2 Duo T6500, 2.10GHz, 2MB L2 + 4GB DDR2 + 320GB SATA + Intel 4500MHD, 17" Widescreen + Lightscribe DVD+RW

#9 2007-03-24 15:07:58

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

removed number four from the list:

4) Replace the HOME variable and pass env to the callable Aexec module in the main script instead of the actuall module itself (execute.py). Test by compiling something that uses ccache.

As I needed to fix a rather important aur extraction issue and this was easy.

#10 2008-02-22 01:47:59

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Hey guys,
   Loui Chang has recently contacted me and expressed interest in taking on this project. He has already done a lot of code cleanup as well as made several bug fixes that were broke with recent versions of AUR. He's an AUR developer who vows to be 'intimate' between the AUR and aurbuild compatibility. nice smile A complete list of his changes and improvements can be found here: http://git.louipc.dontexist.org/?p=aurbuild;a=summary
Anyone interested is encourage to help him test before his new release.

-Tyler

#11 2008-02-22 01:58:33

louipc

Hey folks. Yeah I'm still learning the aurbuild code so it'll be some time before I can get up to speed with it. I've got syncing working again, and I'm working on the voting part as I write this.

I am pretty familiar with AUR itself so that will help keep aurbuild current once I'm up to speed on that aspect. Cheers.

#12 2008-02-22 05:36:41

stonecrest

Cool smile

I am a gated community.

#13 2008-04-01 21:59:22

louipc

Hey hey I could always use help with aurbuild!
If you ever have an itch to scratch grab the source code via git.

Pull: git://repo.or.cz/aurbuild.git
GitWeb: http://repo.or.cz/w/aurbuild.git
Homepage: http://aurbuild.berlios.de

That should make things a bit easier for anyone wishing to contribute.
Cheers.

(I don't say cheers too much; Do I?)

#14 2008-04-02 00:21:23

SpookyET

I'm not sure for the need of it due to yaourt.

#15 2008-04-02 01:00:59

louipc

Well one thing I'm trying to do with aurbuild is emphasise the _build_
Of course we have AUR functionality tacked on as well. But I'd like to able to possibly distinguish and separate those in the future.

If you're not interested that's fine. I hope others are!

Board footer