You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-23 08:56:53

gs

pacman -Syu and now keyboard only works as root kde

I did a pacman -Syu and now keyboard only works as root kde

Users can use keyboard in the basic console and this is a failure within KDE or the X-server.

On this upgrade I needed to add the portmap daemon to rc.conf.

I am running kerrnel 2.6.5-2. The upgrade lifted KDE to KDE 3.2.2. Xfree86 was upgraded previously and did not present this problem so the KDE upgrade is under suspicion.

My rc.conf daemons list is DAEMONS=(portmap syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond fam cups kdm)

Is there something extra I need to add?

sad

What the beep was that?

#2 2004-04-23 09:12:06

colnago

Re: pacman -Syu and now keyboard only works as root kde

You shouldn't need to add portmap, I think the only reason people do is so they can run fam also.  I don't notice any difference running these or not.  Here is my rc.conf line:  DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd firewall network !portmap !fam cups kdm !pcmcia named !netfs crond sshd alsamixer hotplug)

The problem must be somewhere else.  I would look back at the logs when launching kde as a regular user.

#3 2004-04-23 16:37:54

gs

Re: pacman -Syu and now keyboard only works as root kde

Hi colnago,

I tidied up my daemons, after considering how you've set yours. I agree portmap and fam are not useful. I now understand that the upgrade was leaning on fam so that it noticed portmap was missing... a red herring issue, perhaps?

I had no means of getting a dmesg log readout, because of the keyboard crashing. So I have patiently reinstalled kde 3.2.1, by way of adding the components one by one from /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. That works, so I can now pause and investigate if there are any any known issues with the 3.2.2 upgrade that shed light.

I did get an indicator that the DCOP server did not function properly. This happened as warnings and errors, when I installed an additional user.

Thanks

gs

What the beep was that?

Board footer