You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-23 18:55:18

flego
Website

thunar (fstab dbus hal)

Hi all! And thanks to the archlinux community... I've just switched to arch and it is what I was really looking for being light and working big_smile!

Just a question on Thunar (xfce4)... googling so far hasn't solved my doubts yet:

Is it normal that I can't mount/umount entries in fstab when clicking on the /mnt/cdrom /mnt/usbdisk, etc. folders.

Neither it appears the option (mount/umount) in the context menu which arises right-clicking on them. They appear just as normal dirs in thunar.

Yes it appear the plugged device by its own and it's mountable/unmountable, but what I'd like is to have just the former possibility, without the need to run hal daemon... it's seems so easy to me... wink

Thank you for your help! smile

Ico.

#2 2007-02-24 10:28:52

Pajaro

Re: thunar (fstab dbus hal)

i don't know know how xfce works, but the directories that you have in int /mnt are just that, directories. You will need to setup/patch xfce to show the mount/umount options to mount removable devices in the directories that are shown in /etc/fstab.

Anyway, with removable devices, hal/udev is the recomended option, since removable devices may change the /dev entry name. In example, unplug and plug a many times without waiting and you will see how it changes to sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, etc. An fstab entry becomes useless. Or simple plug two pen-drives.

My way of understanding is that in fstab you have the fixed/static devices, and then, removable devices, including cdroms, are handled by hal/udev and mounted in /media.

I hope my experience helps.

#3 2007-02-24 13:55:20

byte

Yep, thunar uses hal and that only governs /media. You need to be in the storage group too, iirc.

#4 2007-02-26 09:33:29

flego
Website

Hi all and thanx for your precious help! smile

I've checked how xffm (the previous file manger) works on my older laptop... And I found out it relies on xfstab which simply add control on fstab content and allows to mount/unmount devices listed there.

I don't understand why this feature was dropped (and not left as optional) since, in my case, I just plug in 'one' usb-pen sometimes and use the cd-rom device... New daemons running (hald/dbus)  and relative conf files seems to me too much to handle so little burden... although I can understand they will prove very usefull in other situations.

Just another question for pajaro:

Can you please provide me some more info on how to setup/patch xfce to show mount/umount options in the directories that are listed in fstab?

Ciao and thanx again!

Ico.

#5 2007-03-22 07:06:23

bsdson.tw

@flego

I think what you need is thunar and thunar-volman.

But personally I think it is hard, impractical to use. sad
I don't know an easy and configurable way to do auto-mounting, neither.
I suggest you could check out udev auto-mounting, ivman, or autofs...

BR.

Board footer