You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-22 00:27:11

mreiland

garbled terminal after kernel upgrade

I'm attempting to install Arch Linux for a friend and I'm having the strangest problem.  After the initial install I can boot into the OS just fine.  I hop in, update the repositories, install a newer version of pacman and then update kernel26.  Update Lilo.conf (initrd26.img to kernel26.img, et al), run lilo and reboot.

About halfway through the bootup process the terminal just gets garbled.  I can see enough to kinda see the prompt and I can log in as root, but that's about as far as I can go.  I'm not used to using initrd so I'm not really sure how to diagnose the problem.

He runs a NForce4 chipset(Forcedeth Ethernet) & an NVidia GeForce 7600 GT Card(PCI-E).

If I had to guess I'd say the problem has to do with the PCI-E bus but I'm not really sure what the "arch" way of solving this is.

Any ideas/hints for me?

#2 2007-03-23 12:20:07

mreiland

Re: garbled terminal after kernel upgrade

Well I suppose I'll install Ubuntu on his machine.

Thanks for eye opener

#3 2007-03-23 13:59:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

And thanks for your patience. smile

#4 2007-03-23 18:22:03

mreiland

tomk I'm sure you were planning on responding to the OP and just couldn't find the time, but I come from Gentoo and, generally speaking, when a thread drops to the 3rd page it's dead.  If this isn't the case here then it only reinforces my opinion that the Arch Linux community isn't all that helpful since this is the 3rd day that the post has been sitting on these boards.

Of course if you had bothered to respond to the OP rather than somehow making it my problem I wouldn't be putting Ubuntu on his machine.  I like Arch Linux better than Ubuntu, but I can't exactly send the guy to these forums to ask for help and I don't want to manually install drivers since a kernel update could break his machine.

Good day to you.

Board footer