You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-21 13:04:40

Birdman

beryl v. kwin

Now that beryl has hit the extra repo I have given it a go. I am having a few teething problems - probably my inexperience wink

I have created a symlink to launch beryl when I login to KDE. This worked fine at first. I have since started to play with a few settings (having a different backdop for each side of the cube) and now find that kwin defaults and I have to manually select beryl as my window manager from the icon in the system tray. Also, even though I have a separate backdrop for each workspace in kwin, berly gives me my selected backdrop on workspace one and I have a blackscreen for the other workspaces? I have an nvidia card and all of the effects that I have tested seem to work. It would be nice to have beryl become effective at login and to be able to configure the backdrops.

Thanks.

#2 2007-03-21 17:34:59

hacosta

Re: beryl v. kwin

in your .beryl-managerrc try changing to active_wm=0 other things i suggest when using beryl with kde are
kicker-compiz and taxkbar-compiz, both in the aur

#3 2007-03-21 21:56:05

Birdman

Thanks hacosta. Booted up this evening to find my box going straight into beryl, and a cube with backdrops - typical! I haven't tried a different backdrop on each side yet, as I think this is what screwed things up yesterday. However.......... can't resist trying again cool

#4 2007-03-21 22:01:10

Birdman

I have just noticed the note in the beryl settings manager "Check if you have a desktop manager that supports viewports to allow different wallpapers on varying sides of the cube". Now, from the way kwin is behaving I assume that it does not support viewports? Anyone know?

Thanks.

#5 2007-03-25 21:42:26

Birdman

I did a system upgrade yesterday and I am now back with having to select beryl as my WM every time I log in. The weird thing is, my wife's login does the same thing except she defaults to metacity whereas I default to kwin. We both use KDE?

Last edited by Birdman (2007-03-25 21:42:54)

#6 2007-03-25 22:10:11

hacosta

i start beryl this way, i think it's cleaner and works fine

#!/bin/bash

beryl &
emerald --replace & #replace with aquamarine or heliodor or whatever
xhost +localhost
#knetworkmanager &
sleep 9
dcop kicker kicker restart   #<-useful if you use Desktop Preview and Pager compiz and taskbar compiz
yakuake      #<-great terminal emulator

#7 2007-03-25 23:46:48

mutlu_inek

Shouldn't KDE users use Aquamarine now that it has come out? See a short a description of it at the bottom of: http://www.beryl-project.org/features.php

Edit: sorry, I was way too tired and must have totallt misread parts of this thread. hmm

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2007-03-26 21:17:32)

#8 2007-03-26 12:04:07

Birdman

hacosta wrote:

i start beryl this way, i think it's cleaner and works fine

#!/bin/bash

beryl &
emerald --replace & #replace with aquamarine or heliodor or whatever
xhost +localhost
#knetworkmanager &
sleep 9
dcop kicker kicker restart   #<-useful if you use Desktop Preview and Pager compiz and taskbar compiz
yakuake      #<-great terminal emulator

hacosta, where exactly is this script placed? It looks simple enough, just not sure where it should go wink

mutle_inek, thanks for the link. I do actually have the aquamarine package installed - didn't know how to invoke it roll It looks like I can do this with hacosta's script now.

Thanks.

Board footer