#26 2007-03-14 06:43:25

Pajaro

Re: yaourt: pacman frontend

wain, very good work.

#27 2007-03-14 18:45:17

Susu
Website

I encountered a little "bug" in yaourt: While "pacman -Sg" lists all available groups, "yaourt -Sg" doesn't. Listing all packages in a group works both with pacman as with yaourt. Maybe you can fix this?!

Album reviews (in german): http://schallwelle.filzo.de

#28 2007-03-14 19:38:26

dolby

yaourt is seriously missing english documentation. better yet a manpage

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#29 2007-03-14 20:12:50

Susu
Website

You just type "yaourt" an you'll get your "manpage"

#30 2007-03-14 20:45:20

dolby

i did but on the french archlinux wiki theres a howto id like to see translated to english and ported to the main wiki. sadly i dont know any french and cant do it myself

edit: iim talking about http://wiki.archlinux.fr/howto:archlinux:yaourt

Last edited by dolby (2007-03-14 20:48:11)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#31 2007-03-14 21:21:50

wain
Website

Susu wrote:

I encountered a little "bug" in yaourt: While "pacman -Sg" lists all available groups, "yaourt -Sg" doesn't. Listing all packages in a group works both with pacman as with yaourt. Maybe you can fix this?!

Cool I did not know -Sg smile
I have just added it to yaourt. You will see it in the next release. cool

#32 2007-03-16 13:10:29

Susu
Website

Thanks wain! :-)

#33 2007-03-17 11:43:19

Bola

good tool.... but there is something as pacman-optimize for yaourt? neutral

#34 2007-03-17 21:52:55

wain
Website

Bola wrote:

good tool.... but there is something as pacman-optimize for yaourt? neutral

yaourt just use pacman for installing/removing packages. So you can use pacman-optimize too.
I recommend personally pacman-cage for mounting pacmandb as loopbacked filesystem.
It can be found here:

[archlinuxfr]
Server = http://www.archlinux.fr/os/i686

#35 2007-03-20 22:19:32

wain
Website

For those who already use pacman3-rc2, here is the first compatible release of yaourt.
http://archiwain.free.fr/os/i686/yaourt … pkg.tar.gz

Warning, as long as srcpac is not updated for pacman3, it is not possible to compile packages directly from sources.

Changelog:

- Better colors for light background terminal (cf solstice post on AUR's page)
New options --lightbg for white background and --nocolor.
- Ability to vote for favorite packages on AUR for inclusion in [community] with aurvote.
- fixed bug with version comparison, pointed out by cromo
- searching for packages which depends on X (yaourt -Sq --depends <pkgname>)
- searching for packages which conflicts with X (yaourt -Sq --conflicts <pkgname>)
- searching for packages wich provides X (yaourt -Sq --provides <pkgname>)
- Support for group listing (yaourt -Sg)

I hope you'll like it !  cool

#36 2007-03-20 23:43:49

Susu
Website

Hope pacman3 will soon be in current. Anyway... the changelog sounds good. :-)

#37 2007-03-25 18:56:30

Zer0

wain simply put... you kick ass!

Always listening to the users,  Thank you for adding voting ability as per request !!
I can't wait to try it out when pacman 3 goes final.

props on the new colour options also!

#38 2007-03-25 19:29:01

mutlu_inek

First, thank you for this outstanding tool! You do a great service to Arch!

wain wrote:

- searching for packages which depends on X (yaourt -Sq --depends <pkgname>)
- searching for packages which conflicts with X (yaourt -Sq --conflicts <pkgname>)
- searching for packages wich provides X (yaourt -Sq --provides <pkgname>)

WOW!

wain wrote:

- Ability to vote for favorite packages on AUR for inclusion in [community] with aurvote.

This is a great idea, too. But what disturbs me is that username and password for AUR are simply put into a file in the home directory. I doubt that there will ever be any exploits regarding our rather tiny distribution, but I simply dislike putting password as clear text somewhere on a harddrive Therefore, I immediately purged aurvote. It would be nice if you could address this in later versions.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2007-03-25 19:30:47)

#39 2007-03-26 10:11:16

wain
Website

mutlu_inek wrote:
wain wrote:

This is a great idea, too. But what disturbs me is that username and password for AUR are simply put into a file in the home directory. I doubt that there will ever be any exploits regarding our rather tiny distribution, but I simply dislike putting password as clear text somewhere on a harddrive Therefore, I immediately purged aurvote. It would be nice if you could address this in later versions.

I know clear text password is frightening, but reality is that it is impossible at this time to use a password with AUR in a securised way. Moreover, it is not possible with a bash script to handle crypted passwords in full safety. hmm
My advice is to use a single password which will be used only for AUR login.
Do you agree with that?

#40 2007-03-26 21:16:01

mutlu_inek

wain wrote:

Do you agree with that?

Maybe the file should be accessible only by root/sudoer. It should not be a big obstacle since yaourt uses su anyway.

#41 2007-03-26 21:28:38

dolby

where does yaourt save the pkgs it builds from aur? doesnt it use makepkg to build em?

#42 2007-03-26 21:48:43

wain
Website

mutlu_inek wrote:
wain wrote:

Do you agree with that?

Maybe the file should be accessible only by root/sudoer. It should not be a big obstacle since yaourt uses su anyway.

I never launch yaourt as root, especially for the installation of AUR packages for security reason. But using aurvote in yaourt only as root is a good idea cool

dolby wrote:

where does yaourt save the pkgs it builds from aur? doesnt it use makepkg to build em?

Yes yaourt uses makepkg. All pkg.tar.gz are stored in /tmp/yaourt-tmp-user/ directory until install.
If install fails, packages are kept in /tmp. If install is successfull, they are removed.
Yaourt support an option --export to keep pkg.tar.gz and PKGBUILD in a given directory.

#43 2007-03-26 21:58:19

dolby

wain wrote:
dolby wrote:

Yes yaourt uses makepkg. All pkg.tar.gz are stored in /tmp/yaourt-tmp-user/ directory until install.
If install fails, packages are kept in /tmp. If install is successfull, they are removed.
Yaourt support an option --export to keep pkg.tar.gz and PKGBUILD in a given directory.

imho that should be standard behaviour . also since makepkg.conf defines a directory where made pkgs go why should the user define it again?

edit: since noone answered that, do you think it would be possible for the pages in archlinux.fr to be translated in english enad ported to wiki.rchlinux.org? like http://wiki.archlinux.fr/howto:archlinux:yaourt for example

ps. thanks for this great script

Last edited by dolby (2007-03-26 22:06:49)

#44 2007-03-27 05:19:44

mutlu_inek

wain wrote:

I never launch yaourt as root, especially for the installation of AUR packages for security reason.

Hmm... maybe I am missing something here. I do not run yaourt as root, either, but it does ask for my su (i.e. user) password. The same thing should be done for voting.

#45 2007-03-27 07:51:30

wain
Website

dolby wrote:

imho that should be standard behaviour . also since makepkg.conf defines a directory where made pkgs go why should the user define it again?

the goal of --export is to build a repository. Yaourt exports the .pkg.tar.gz and a directory with PKGBUILD and all local sources.
In the general case, I don't see a reason to keep .pkg.tar.gz after a successfull install. Could you explain me?

dolby wrote:

edit: since noone answered that, do you think it would be possible for the pages in archlinux.fr to be translated in english enad ported to wiki.rchlinux.org? like http://wiki.archlinux.fr/howto:archlinux:yaourt for example

ps. thanks for this great script

I have a lot of work on yaourt at this time. I rewrite srcpac completely since it is not compatible any more with pacman3 and that the patchs sent on bugs.archlinux.org are not integrated for a long time. And my english level is not enough good to write a full documentation lol
Maybe you could begin a wiki page which I could revise later ?

#46 2007-03-27 08:53:14

dolby

i wasnt refering to you ofc. writing the code is enough, at least from my point of view.
as i said before i would be more than happy to translate it but i dont know ANY french.
afaik though arch has a significant amount of users french or maybe even canadian who speak the language that could do it.
documentation besides manpages is very important and i dont see why important pages in any of the non-english wiki's shouldnt be copied to the main wiki. after all it supports french afaik

#47 2007-03-30 07:44:19

emphire

Looks great.  One thing though...  Would it be possible to get it to check the arch=() flags for aur packages?  I'm running the x84_64 version and it's listing aur i686-only packages (like google-earth and wine-cvs).

Thanks,
jon

#48 2007-03-30 09:01:47

wain
Website

emphire wrote:

Looks great.  One thing though...  Would it be possible to get it to check the arch=() flags for aur packages?  I'm running the x84_64 version and it's listing aur i686-only packages (like google-earth and wine-cvs).

Currently, it is not possible to search like that on AUR. I have filled a feature request: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6756
I will add a warning in yaourt just before building the PKGBUILD

#49 2007-03-31 18:38:32

Bola

It's time for yaourt based on pacman 3.0.0?? wink

#50 2007-03-31 19:23:33

wain
Website

Bola wrote:

It's time for yaourt based on pacman 3.0.0?? wink

it's here wink
http://archiwain.free.fr/os/i686/yaourt … pkg.tar.gz

I will update it on AUR when pacman 3.0 move in [current].

Board footer