You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-25 05:28:21

skruw

E17 - Enlightenment

well ok to get an end to the question, yes! archlinux is the best dist in the world. tongue

we are cutting edge in desktop enviroments so i got to thinking why havent we made E17 archbinarys? i mean fluxbox has its _develepment binarys, gnome is cutting edge and so is kde.
well i have already started compiling now, and i will resport back when i get the main WM working, then i will post apps while they get compiled, but keep in mind the comp its compiling on is a ooooold pentium 400 celeron clocked to 450 *whohoo*

/skruw
ps. i would appriciate some help with third party dependencys.

#2 2004-04-25 12:42:51

KalephOne

Re: E17 - Enlightenment

I cant wait to use E17, but there is a little problem with your suggestion of making E17 archbinarys: there is no E17 yet. They have stopped all the work on E17 and started from scratch, and now their focus is working on the Libraries (Evas, edge, etc). Here is a quote from http://enlightenment.org/pages/enlightenment.html

The upcoming release of DR17 is still under development. As stated in the State of the E-nion document that was published in March 2003, the version presently in CVS was a glorified test app, and is now deprecated -- it will not compile against present versions of the Enlightenment libraries. Development is already underway for the real E17, now that most of the EFL libraries are getting to a mature stage.

The DR17 is now in early re-write, however it is nothing more than a code framework at this point, even if you did find the code it would only show you a dialog window. Nothing more. No menus, no controls, no anything. At this point, emphisis is still on developing the EFL, since that is the real power center of DR17

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

#3 2004-04-25 13:54:51

aCoder
Website

That's actually a very old and outdated quote, although it is still on the website.  E17 is now working, and the version in CVS at this time of both E and the EFLs are what will be released as E17 when everything's ready.

why havent we made E17 archbinarys?

Because it's not easy to build.  I tried once, but the tangled web of EFL inter-dependency and the lack of a good compile-in-this-order list quickly exhausted my patience.  I'm still trying to sort it out, and I actually have pkgs for the first few, but I couldn't figure out what to build next, and by now, my checkout is outdated.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#4 2004-04-25 14:01:21

aCoder
Website

ooPs!  :oops: I've misread.  e is not working, just the EFLs and some apps, and they've added a nice list to thier build notes since my last visit!  I don't mind e being missing though, since the really great part's entrance!

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#5 2004-04-25 16:47:42

skruw

i have made PKGBUILDs for almost all libs, only 2 left, one dosent build and the otherone depends on it. sad
so i will wait a few days and see if they fix the error,
then for the apps matter, i have compiled a few appications, but there are a lot of them that are broke, but as sayed before, i will try again in a few days, smile
it would be fun if one day soon you are possible to install E17 binarys, easy and quick.

Board footer